1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education How do you sleep?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkwisdom, 1 Jul 2014.

1. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

It seems like most people have fairly 'short' sleep times. I have no problem sleeping once I fall asleep, which sometimes takes a while as my brain runs loose. A bomb could go off next to me and I would sleep through it.
    I certainly sleep too long though, as I have no trouble sleeping between 8-10 hours a night, every night. If I sleep less that 6 hours I feel really tired throughout the day though. I have no idea what's going on -_-

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I quite like lots of sleep, but I feel cheated if I spend too long asleep. With a full time job, a beautiful woman to service :naughty:, a 3 year old daughter (soon to be joined by a 0 year old son), and a handful of time consuming hobbies, the only "me time" I get is between about 11pm and 2am! I don't always use all of it, but sometimes I stay up later than my body would like just to get stuff done.

Ever tried desoldering all the keys off a keyboard and then soldering on 104 new ones in a single evening? It takes time, and having pre-schoolers poking around is not much fun!

3. Scroome

Scroome Modder

If I get 7-8 hours a night, I'm good.

Naps....naps are the devil to me. I am the worst person after a nap. Like a bear with a sore head.

4. Shirty

My daughter is horrible after a daytime nap. Like, unbearably grouchy. It's the only time I don't like being her dad (other than when food mysteriously ends up caked to the TV after a mealtime).

5. Scroome

Scroome Modder

It doesn't get better..............;)

Thor just leaves me in bed and it'll take me about an hour to get up after a nap.

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

There's a thing where if you nap for over 25minutes it actually makes you more tired than before! Researchers will look into anything...

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Hence the 20 minute power nap!
    I tend to sleep solidly from 11ish til 7ish. I used to struggle to sleep, but cut a lot of caffeine after 6pm. Now I'll usually have 1 or 2 cups of tea, nothing after 8pm. I used to drink loads of tea and coffee in the evenings and not sleep until late.

It's amazing how your body adapts to stuff though...

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'm surprised how many people dodge caffeine. Last night I had a coffee at 10pm and was asleep by 10.30. I think that means I definitely drink too much coffee. My girlfriend is no caffeine after 6pm, she drinks redbush tea instead when it's late.

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Caffeine just doesn't affect me like that any more. I could drink 2l of Diet Coke right before bed and other than needing to get up and pee a couple of times I would sleep just as well as any other night.

My wife has to have some noise while she goes to sleep otherwise her tinnitus keeps her awake so she normally has a TV show playing on her laptop but other than that, she can sleep for king and country. Some weekends she has about 2 or 3 hours a day of being awake - yay for thyroid problems...

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

In bed around 10:30-11, asleep (Usually) well before 12, awake again at around 7-7:50.

I average around 8 hours sleep, I always feel rested in the morning, but I almost always go to sleep with "blue light" stuff on. Mainly PC with cartoons playing, but they're usually off about twenty minutes after I go to sleep, with the monitor going to sleep not long after that.

Ideally I'd like a bedroom with nothing but a bed, but space in the house doesn't allow for that, so this is just the way it is!

I don't drink caffeine at all really, so I've never taken that into consideration.

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Get to bed you lot!

12. Shirty

Soon my pretty...

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

So for a test I drank a bottle of Pepsi last night, not really intentionally, I didn't realise how late it was. I didn't sleep well at all, it took me ages to actually go to sleep, then I kept waking up throughout the night. It may not only be to do with the Pepsi though, I was playing with Excel spreadsheet until going to bed so my brain was active, and I have a few other things going on at the minute in my head too.

14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sleep, what's sleep ? My sleeping pattern is hella f*cked. I have an appointment with a customer this afternoon and I haven't slept :/

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I was well asleep by this time last night. If I stay up until midnight I'm seriously tired the next day. I used to only sleep 6 hours a night, when I was at uni and for a good few years after uni, though, these days I need 8 apparently.

I did once get quite into sleep cycles, and I worked out that mine are about 90 minutes, so with sleep cycles as long as you complete a full cycle then you don't wake up terribly tired, so that meant sleep for 6 hours on a normal night or 7.5 hours for a long sleep night or 4.5 hours. I don't know why I don't try that again, as it used to work. But that means using an alarm. I don't use any alarms ever, I hate being woken up by an alarm, I have an uncanny ability to always be able to wake up when I need to wake up, I've not used an alarm for going on 2 years now.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My snooze button seems to be getting a hammering in this weather. I have two - one on my phone, another on my docked tablet. Every five minutes one goes off and I think it's about 40 minutes worth at the moment before I get out of bed. It's usually when I'm mindful that I've accidentally switched one alarm off rather than snoozing it.

I must admit, I don't seem to be affected by the blue light syndrome. I had a laptop whirring away with its screen still on just by my bed last night and it didn't bother me. A ticking clock, however, sends me batty. I'd have to take the battery out. I can even nod off for a few hours on the sofa with the telly on.

17. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Badly sometimes I'll sleep for 13 hours straight other times I don't sleep for 3 days. its been like that for years but has started to get steadily worse over the past year to the point where I go to sleep tired and exhausted now and I wake up tired and exhausted. For the first time in my life I'm actually considering seeing the doctor for some sleeping tablets. I'm hoping to start a part time degree in October so I want to get it fixed before then.