1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far can these E6300's go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biff, 15 Nov 2006.

1. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I just upgraded my main components last week and now that it's all up and running I thought I'd sit down and do a little OCing. I'm using a DS3 mobo, an e6300, and OCZ 2GB platinum pc6400 RAM. ATM I've upped the FSB to 200MHz and am running prime95, downloading on bittorrent, doing this, as well as a few other things and all is well. I did give the cpu a little bump in voltage, I'm at about 1.4V now. When I got this equipment I was aiming (hoping) for a 2.8GHz OC once I get my cooling solutions figured out and do a lot of tweaking but I'm there now with doing nothing.

So all this is on stock air cooling and not knowing what to change yet to optimize things and I would consider this a really good clock. What are these things capable of once given better cooling (and a more experienced user)? I'm going to have it on water before too long and am really looking forward to pushing it.

I'm going to let Prime95 run overnight but I'm confident that it will have no problems... maybe I'll be onto 3GHz tomorrow?

[edit]
    In the past few minutes I went up to 2.9GHz!! I'm starting to think that 3GHZ is not going to be too much of a milestone.
    [/edit]

Last edited: 15 Nov 2006
  2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I presume you are running dual prime? What sort of temps are you getting (I'm interested in the delta temp, as different mobos measure temps differently).

3. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, no I'm not. I wasn't aware that there was a different version out. I'll have to go look that up. Thanks! BTW is there any better torture testing software out there?

I haven't looked to far into the temps but I'm assuming that my mobo is reading off the die itself and not one of those temp sensors that are burried in the socket. ATM I'm running at 59°C to 60°C. Were you after the delta temps for load/no load or OC loaded vs. no OC loaded?

[edit]
    Nevermind, I got it figured out now. I thought there must be a catch. I backed down to 200MHz FSB (2.8GHz) and am running dual Prime95 now.

Thanks for the info!
    [/edit]

Last edited: 15 Nov 2006
  4. pjotero

pjotero belgian

he probaly means the difference between oc/ no oc

60 is the max temp of a c2d, so you might want to be carefull with that.

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Over 60° and it dies or just becomes unstable? I was priming at about 63° with the dual prime running and all was stable. I shut it down until I get some more info just to be safe, it instantly dropped to 51°C. I'll unclock it and see what the diffs are.

6. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Er, what source are you using for that? I'm fairly sure that's not true. Intel did state a max operating temp around 60-65, but that would only apply if you ran your system at 100% for a long period of time at that sort of temperature.

Dual priming is probably the highest temp your C2D will ever reach. Running any other program, be it gaming, photoshop, even 3Dmark will result your C2D running much cooler. For example, my E6600 hits 65 under dual prime or using 100% stress using TAT . However, it only reaches 55 when I'm playing Counter-Strike Source. Thus, the guideline is fairly irrelevant for people like me, who don't maintain 100% usage on both cores of sustained periods of time.

On another point a C2D can run to 85oC before the chip thermally shuts down.

When i said delta temp is the difference of temperature between idle and load. Sorry I wasn't clear.

You may want to check out CoreTemp (theres a thread in the Intel subforum in the Xtremesystems forums on it). It reports on the digital sensors in the chip itself (not from the mobo), so it's extremely accurate.

7. pjotero

pjotero belgian

From an intel fact cheat, and I ment it as instable operation