1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How hard . . .

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Styles, 26 Apr 2002.

1. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

do you guys think it would be to replace the side panel of a case with a sheet of Lexan? I have a full tower case and put in a good size window but it did not turn out as well as I wanted. So, after staring at the stupid thing , nite after nite, I've been thinking about just eliminating the metal side panel and giving it a new lexan side. I think my big concern would on how to get the new side to slip on like the original.
    Anybody done this or have ideas?
    Thanks.

2. MagicMikey

MagicMikey What's a Dremel?

The best way would be to take the original panel and cut it so as just to leave the edges, then put the lexan in. You'll be left with a small border of the panel around the edges but at least it will slide in perfectly. I don't if that's what you did already or not...

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I was thinking of this the other day because I was thinking about making a machine by just using a chassis and replace the outside with plexi. When you get down to it, what you need is the hardware that is responsible for locking in the panel. Styles has a good idea. I was thinking of a way to fix the grooves, or whatever you have on yours to the inside of the plexi panel with epoxy or other means. You could just scrap the way it is designed to fit and just use some thumbscrews, I had another case I had to do that because I had damaged the panel and the tabs wouldn't fit anymore.

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

you could just buy a new case you know :D

5. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

You could also mount the plexi to the outside of the door with some kinda glue/adhesive. Trim off all unneeded parts of the door, then paint the inside part of the plexi to hide the metal frame before you glue it together.

6. socketman

socketman What's a Dremel?

Magnets....

Not sure how magnets would work out on Lexan though. I really screwed up my panel. So now im gonna have to use magnets to seal the side panel.

A few words about magnets and computers:
    1. keep magnets as far as possible from your hard drive and floppy drive. about 1 foot away if possible.

2. Static magnetic fields have almost no effect on components.

3. If your worried about long term effects. go to This site and get magnetic shielding. I got several grades and types. READ THEIR FAQ !

How do I know all this? I talked to 2 electrical engineers and a physicist. So you should be ok if you go with magnets.

7. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

I've seen this done hundreds of times before, and it definetely is not a hard thing to pull off. All you need to do is make sure you have the lexan cut to the size of you side panel, and use small hindes (just like the ones used on your kitchen cabinets) to attach it to your case. Good Luck!

8. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i would just un-rivet (or cut off) the mounts of your old side panel, or cut 1" away from all sides, and fill it with plexi...or glue/epoxy on the pieces for mounting

9. DRR104

DRR104 What's a Dremel?

duct-tape......wouldn't be pretty but may work....

10. Arcane

Arcane Minimodder

er....sheet metal screws and JB-weld
    :p

I did something similar on a bike once....replaced side plastics with lex....just be careful...lexan tends to split when you drill/cut it...I just used the frame from the original piece and attached it to the lexan via 2 part epoxy..*dried clear* then reattached to the scoot. turned out well and looked secksi with the red neon behind it.

11. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

well...Bob Villa once told me that a mixture of glue and sawdust could fix anything
    dunno if that'd help :p

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

you could buy one of those cheap locks designed for file cabinets, a large sheet of plexi and some metal hinges, attatch the hinges to the plexi, then put the lock in it so you can secure the side, attach the hinges to the case, and you've solved your problem

13. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

i would go for magnets (held on with super glue to the lexian) or a hindge (but it probably would piss me off after a while)
    go for nice strong magnets and affix them using super glue of double sided sticky tape or buy a new case
    p.s. if u use magnets use these super strong super small maplin ones (the M1219 rage will do the job!):D

14. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

Plexi isnt that heavy use Velcro (hook and loop) pads. Or hinge it on to the the chassis.

ride

15. Daneo

Daneo What's a Dremel?

easy

two words: duct tape....

or you could do what the intelligent people say ^