1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Have You modded Your PSU?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ConKbot of Doom, 3 Jul 2003.

?

What PSU mods do you have?

1. Replaced the fan

47 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. New cover

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. Lighting

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Other (do tell)

45 vote(s)
    57.0%
  5. Another Other

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Painted to mirror, sleeved, add internal lighting, added side grill (because it butts up right against the radiator and wasn't going to get very much air otherwise)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Only mods I've really done (besides fixing a couple dead psus) were vmodding the 3.3V line so that it put out 3.7V.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Back in september, after getting an idea from G-gnomes project, I took a length of 3 conductor 12ga colid core (in retrospect, a poor choice due to lack of flexibility), ran it to the drive cage, and attacked all the molexes there. I also killed the variable voltage fan line, and have other assorted mods. Since the fans are dead, I took a bit of copper wire and attached an 80mm fan externally using the wire to hold it onto the ventilation holes.

Needless to say, a new one is fairly high on my lists of things to mod... being right after buying a new soundcard and right before buying a new case.

4. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

So far i have painted it luminus Green, oh the glow.

5. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

ive sleeved all my cables with UV reactive sleeving and added blue molex connectors and ATX connector, plus removed un needed plugs, eg AUX
    one question, i have a topower psu which has a power outlet on the back that puts out 240volt, only problem is it is the american shape, can i just change that to an australian one?

6. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

if its the same freq and voltage as you use in aus it should work..

Ive got a CWT ADP 550w which has far too many cables. Im going to unsolder tehm from the psu and replace with 2.5mm solid core copper, when I find somewhere to buy it... the idea is that instead of having 4 orange wires going to the ATX connector, I will just use one solid core that is rated for that much current and it will make the cable less bulky. theres also 5 ground wires, 5 or 6 x 5v and a few 12v aswell, each rail will only have one cable..
    I will have only one cable for moxels to attatch to drives, and one more to connect to my external 172mm fan for my rads.

Also the idea os giving it a brused looks is temping but probably too much effort...

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have cut of all unused cables.. dyed all the connectors black and added black sleeving... oh.. and added a gold fangrill (normal wiregrill.. i love those :) ) :D

8. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I've put an acrylic over my PSU, cut another fan hole, added to LED fans, added a green LED powered off of the 5vsb, added 2 inverters into my PSU so I could power off cathodes directly from my PSU, added three 10,000uF and three .01uf capacitors to each of the voltage rails, and added an inside 120vAC outlet.

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Why bother with the 0.01uf caps?

10. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

The ones on the 12v rail act as a filter for high frequencies generated from the inverters and the big electrolytics I used don't have good ESR ratings.

Other than that it's a mental thing. :D

11. Turbochris

Turbochris What's a Dremel?

I painted my power supply to look exactly like a miller millermatic 200 MIG welder.

12. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Half way through watercooling (on hold for the moment while I'm doing uni projects / exams). See sig for link...

13. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

Water-cooled + added a pump relay to an AOpen 400W..

[​IMG]

and later a QTEC 550w..

[​IMG]

..many moons ago :)