1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How hot should an x800gto run?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shuriken, 3 Nov 2005.

1. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

As the title says, how hot should my sapphire x800gto run, I've overclocked it to 500 Mhz core and memory, but its 80 - 105 degrees full load! surely thats unhealty, but i cant find documentation anywhere that says what the max operating temperature is.

Matt

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Erm yea thats WAY too high....

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Wouldn't worry about it dying at that temperature (GPUs are normally good up to over 120), but it is much too high... I suspect poor contact between the heatsink and core. Try reseating it with some quality thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5. Also ensure good case airflow, as the fans on GPUs can just keep sucking in the same hot air if there's a deadspot there.

4. Shuriken

thanks, i'll look into that.
    it idles at 60 degrees when not overclocked, is that too high aswell? or am I jsut pushing it too far?

matt

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

That's too high, really. I don't think you're pushing it too much; I know someone who recently got an HIS one (with the huge AS cooler as stock) and even at 500MHz, its idle temperature is in the mid-30s... you could buy an Arctic Silencer (they are superb, and I'm pretty sure they have one that fits) or alternatively just reset the heatsink with some AS5 :)

6. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

I'd say 60 degrees idle at factory settings is much since my x850 xt pe runs at around 50 degrees in idle with the damn reference cooler

7. Shuriken

It hits 80 on stock settings under full load, I'm new to graphics card overclocking and temperatures, but I'm sure thats too high, I'll try re-seating the cooler today.

8. Shuriken

Well that didn't really help, It had quite a thick layer of thermal compound on there, I cleaned that off, put some acrtic alumina on (thats all I had) and the Idle temps lower, but the load temps are slightly higher! Think I'll invest in a decent cooler.

9. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I got mine yestaday, currently fully unlocked @ 16p 540mhz core, 560mhz mem, with full load @ 70C , Idles @ 40C. this is on the stock cooler too W00t, It could be your airflow, i got a zalman 7700 (the 120mm fan 1) and 2 120mm fans (intake and outake) + a mesh window.

-Fr4nk

10. jamadaia

jamadaia What's a Dremel?

If you want to keep your card from getting borker, honestly dont let the GPU go above 80 - 90 degrees m8 on full load.
    Over 100 is definetly not normal and although may work, will cause irreversable damage.
    If your still unsure, google around on the net and check the max temps of GPUs people have overclocked.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2005
  11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Thermal paste will take a few days to really start working properly :)

12. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Just one thing, Are your temps celcious or ferinheight--(Spelling?) Cause for F. That would be really good. But celsious thats another story.

13. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Not to jack this thread, but my 6600GT runs about 57-63degree's Idle, and goes into the 70-80's during load. Is that too much? I thought it would be normal, but considering you guys said a much higher card runs at that high and it isnt good..i was just wondering.

14. jamadaia

jamadaia What's a Dremel?

If memory serves right, the 6x00's run a bit hotter than the ATI x8xx range, but even then I think your on the upper limit there m8. Personally I wouldnt want it running much over 70 myself. But I think your ok with it.

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

DivineSin - Don't think thats too bad, mine idles at 40c with Watercooling, so... :p

Tags: