1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks How long can a RJ45 cable be?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 10 Feb 2002.

1. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

100meters for 100basetx and 10baset that equates to 320 feet, ou dont necessarily need a repeater, a simple active (powered) hub will work just fine to extend your distance..

2. relix

relix Minimodder

you're saying there are passive hubs for ethernet? cool!

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

you can get power hubs now that will transmit power over ur network, so u can put useful stuff on it to draw power from it like electric shavers...no kidding, this guy put an electric shaver on it....not enough for powering pcs...which is a shame cause imagine powering every computer at a lan through ur switch :D

4. relix

relix Minimodder

interesting...

then, instead of "Don't take up my bandwidth!"
    it would be "Stay away from my electricity, it's all mine I tell ya, all MINE! *touches the electricity to get all the electricity* Muhahaaaaaaaaaaargh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! muhaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
    lol

5. BURNER-X

BURNER-X What's a Dremel?

LOL

1000' cderalow
    LOL
    no lag or nothing?

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

a long wire isn't going to cause you lag....that's not how it works....

7. BURNER-X

BURNER-X What's a Dremel?

o?

Well how does it work? whats is the longest cable you could run rj45 cable that is?

8. SileNceR

SileNceR What's a Dremel?

According to the rules of cabling layed out in the TIA/EIA-568-A Specifications, Cable lengths between repeaters (a hub is a multiport repeater) or switches/a router is as follows

90meters for horizontal cabling (from the patch panel to the workplace)
    6meters for the horizontal cross-connect (from the patch panel to the switch/hub/router)
    3meters for the workplace drop (from the wall to the workstation)

No CAT5 TIA/EIA-568-A Compliant cabling shall exceed 100m in length.

This really just means that 100m should be relatively noise free, if you go longer you will recieve attenuation and signal degradation. Running a repeater at every 95'ish Meters should do a fine job of stopping this problem from occurring, although 15m in the case of this post should be fine as long as the ends are either crimped (if running a cable) or punched-down properly (if running the cable between two wall points).

The two specifications for proper wiring so as to promote the self cancellation effects for noise in cat5 are as follows:

T568A
    Wht Grn :: Grn :: Wht Org :: Blu :: Wht Blu :: Org :: Wht Brn :: Brn

and

T568B
    Wht Org :: Org :: Wht Grn :: Blu :: Wht Blu :: Grn :: Wht Brn :: Brn

If you want to make a straight thru (normal cat5) cable to run from a workstation to a switch then both ends should be T568A, don't just match the ends color coding up as any colors as this will cripple the cables anti-noise protection

If you want a crossover (workstation to workstation) cable, one end must be T568A and the other T568B.

:)

Have fun.

9. SileNceR

a long cable won't cause lag directly, but due to the resending of signals that are lost or misinterpreted the attenuation effects in the cable can mean it takes a lot longer to get the proper signal thru to the recipient - which appears in the form of lag.

and to think about 2 years ago we wondered why our "made-out-of-phone-cable" uplink was lagging the hell out of our games across the two 8port 10mbit hubs... heheh

10. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

11. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

SileNceR, thats right.. 100 meters.. you can go further, but you may not acheive the desired speeds, at longer distances you will get lost packets, and sometimes even ghost collisions.. powered hubs are cheap enough, just remember the 5-4-3 rule, no more than 5 repeaters, 4 trunks, and only 3 can be populated.. 5 repeaters = 5 active hubs..

-scoob8000

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i don'[t experience any problems with it other than having a truly portable computer... (and finding a place for the gigantic spool that it came on...) definitely brings meaning to having a laptop though.... means i can take my computer down the hall and still have internet... been known to be in the john and using it....

13. SileNceR

remind me never to chat to you on the net :)

14. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i belive that 500M is the furthest you can go with Cat5E cable. of course expect loss of quality

15. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

maximum length for a Cat5e is shorter, (tighter twists)

one of the problems with long cables and large, multi-hub networks is attenuation, which screws up the collision detection something rotten.. (a google search for "ethernet collision detection" will throw up some good stuff).

on the whole though, installation wiring is normally done with solid core as it provides better signal, however its not as flexible, so for shorter runs stranded cable is used.

and lets not get into STP Vs UTP:rolleyes:

Tags: