1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling How long can thermal tape last?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DAE_JA_VOO, 7 Jun 2007.

1. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO New Member

What's up guys.

okay here's my predicament. I've been busy with a mod since January last year. Everything is watercooled. I'm almost done, but now i'm a bit concerned about something. The machine hasn't been powered on for a few months, and i'm a bit worried that the thermal tape holding the RAM sinks on the video cards isn't going to hold. I stuck those RAM sinks on about 3 months ago, maybe more.

Will the thermal tape hold?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited: 8 Jun 2007
  2. geek1017

geek1017 New Member

So you used thermal paste, not thermal adhesive, to put RAM sinks on your vid card?

Have they fallen off yet? If not then I'd say you're probably good to go.
    If you do want to re-do it, and you don't have any two-part thermal adhesive, just put a spot of superglue in two opposite corners of the sink. Should work.
    Be careful though as this makes the sinks rather permanent.

3. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO New Member

WHOOPS!!!!

That's my mistake, i meant thermal TAPE. Not thermal PASTE. My bad. Let me just edit my first post.

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well have feel of them, if they seem rock solidly stuck then I doubt they'll fall off any time soon. Usually thermal tape, like a lot of tapes, loses it's adhesion after its been pulled off, so they should be fine unless you've taken them off, then put them back on (with the same tape)...

5. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO New Member

Thanks Frank.

Unfortunately i CAN'T feel them. The cards are "hidden" in the mod, and it'll take me a day to get to them, which is why i'm asking ;)

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If you used your system regularly for a week after installing the ramsinks, the adhesion process should be complete.

7. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO New Member

Okay but BEFORE that week? Would there be a chance of those heat sinks coming off?

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Hmm, I'd think not. The Zalman ZM-RHS1 aluminum VGA ramsinks that I just installed attached to the chips very firmly. I'm guessing you used similar quality ramsinks as well, so there's no chance that they'd fall off, even after several months in hiatus.

9. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO New Member

Great stuff.

Thanks Amon :)

Tags: