1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable How long has your iPod/phone/gizmo lasted you?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragontail, 31 Dec 2007.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

We know these days many of us own an iPod, PDA or a mobile/cell phone. Now that the South Asian countries are pumping out these electronics by the boat load, my question is this: How long have they lasted for you?

Do they last for a year, then break? Or do you replace them long before they get old and build up a mountain of unused gadgets? As they say, YMMV, so I'm curious what the trend is. And anyone with anything still alive bought before 2000 gets a cookie :D

To get the thread rolling, my iPod 5G has been going strong for 2 years and 2 months now, no problems or RMAs. I don't plan to replace it until it dies on me. My LG KG800 has lasted for a year and 2 months, and is starting to become problematic, so I'm getting it replaced soon.

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

My Creative Zen has lasted nearly 2 years (may) and is on its last toe's, wont charge from the wall, just about charges from the usb, and then it plays and crashes.
    My mobile is fine, got it in October 06 as part of an 18month plan, and only plan on getting a new one when i hit the 18th month, if there are any new phones decent enough to replace with.

Sam

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

my zen has been going strong for 22 months and my phone for over 12 months. Unless I need to I dont generally upgrade on a whim.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

my 30GB iPod video is fine, no RMA's or damage, it has frozen on me only once, and i can count the ammount of times i've dropped it on 1 hand :D I keep it in VERY good condition because i love my music. I still got my gameboy advance from like 5 years ago? :O It works fine, just missing the back battery cover and its got a fair share of scratches and dirt.

5. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

My ipod is 3 years old and it's still as good as when it was new.

My SE phone is 2 years and while it has some scratches from other stuff in my pocket it still functions perfectly

infact, i've never had a gadget, phone, camera or otherwise die, other than a few replacement batteries of course :thumb:

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

My phone is made on 2002 (though I bought it second-hand on 2005) That's still over two years of my use. Despite my doubts about the huge screen and plastic feel it has proven to be pretty solid thing. Some scratches on the screen as the 1st owner seems to have used a 5" nail as a stylus.
    EDIT: oh the battery on it is 5 years old now and still lasts for a week being on 24/7. Pretty impressive as some have to change the batteries after a year or two... Li-Po Cheesecake.

Creative Zen Sleek has also held together for two years now. Had some issues with it in the beginning, but none ever since. Due to it's HDD I've used I've been even more careful with it, so no scrathes or any visible damage. I'm happy with both gadgets.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  7. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I had a walkman that lasted for 4 years from 2002-2006. My first cell phone was a piece of junk(free LG phone with the first plan I had), it started having issues after about a year of use. Thankfully I got rid of it and have a Razr now, which works great.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

most of my stuff lasts beyond the time that I sell it, most is 1 year plus. But I do take care of it

9. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Didn't have a mark on my ipod and I never used a case other than the rubber thingey they give you. Gave it my sister for 3 days.. Let's just say it would have less marks on it if I had attacked it for an hour with some 140 grit sandpaper.

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

My GFs 5G iPod has been RMA'd 5 times in two years, only once was it our fault (She had a bit to drink and her iPod was "thirsty")
    My old phone lasted me 5 years which I bought second hand off trademe had about 2 years use. Still works great no signs of stopping, other than the fact I cracked the LCD when I came off my bike and landed on my phone, crunch. Still used it to call my GF though :D

11. Tupla W

Tupla W What's a Dremel?

I have a Nokia 6110 from year 1998 and I still use it every day :) I have replaced both battery and the antenna once.
    No real need to buy a new one before this brokes. Nokia sure is a name of quality :)

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

a sony mp3 player bought about 2 years ago wont charge anymore. but my 1.5 year old phone(motorolla) still works great.

13. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I worry about this quite a bit. 25 years ago, things were built properly. I've got a wired phone that must have been built to survive nuclear holocaust; dropping it won't bother it. And then if it does fail, or if my IBM Model M fails, they can be repaired. You can take them apart, isolate the broken bit, and replace it with very little effort.

Now, everything is designed to be replaced if you look at it funny. Sure, I like my technology, but it's also kinda sad. On the other hand, if you read some reviews you can still do very well today. I've had a Motorola RAZR for two years and the only thing that's gone wrong was the battery. I've got an Asus laptop that persistently refuses to stop working - even the battery works returns two hours of life after four years of doing all the wrong things for keeping batteries alive (leaving the computer plugged in nearly 24/7 and never draining the battery).

14. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

My Nokia 6320 has been serving me well since 2004. Its been abused, but somehow it still functions. :)

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I still have a Panasonic portable CD player circa 1998 working flawlessly when/if needed ;)

On the mobile phone front, all mine still work, only upgraded, well... for upgrades ;) , this includes the first 3x windows mobile phone versions ever produced, and 3x pda/phone hybrids after that... at generally 1year between each (standard 1year contract ^^) :p

I sometimes feel i singlehandedly kept HTC in business :lol:

What scares me sometimes though, is how apple could have single-handedly wiped the floor with every competitor going by releasing the iPhone without restrictions... *with* restrictions it's double the price it's worth, and could wipe the floor with everything if it weren't for the anti-competitive raw greed of apple....

Of the six or so close friends i'd say were ideal customers for the iPhone, only one brought one... the other 5 were put off by the insane price and/or the restrictions imposed....

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  16. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

My ipod shuffle gen 2 works but dont charge or connects to computer has only lasted a month

17. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Had my iPod 5G rev1 since release, been replaced once under warrenty, now has a new headphone jack, needs a new case as I broke the clips when replacing the headphone jack. Phone has lasted me since Febuary, Sony Ericsson W850i, speakers a bit dodgy and my zippos scratched the screen something chronic.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My 3G 20GB Ipod was has lasted 4 1/2 years now. Kind of. The one I have now is the third one I've had, but since Apple replaced them each time I can live with it. Current one is falling to bits though, had to replace the battery, it can't charge from the mains (only firewire - something to do with a 12V line being fused with something else aparently :eek:) and the hold switch is gradually becoming less reliable at taking the Ipod off hold - so I think a classic will be coming some day in 2008.

Every nokia phone I've had on the other hand, will outlast the damn planet it was born on. The cheap low end ones look like crap, have the features of crap, feel like they're made of crap - in general they do not make a good impresison. Untill you live with one of 'em for several years. They're as close to industructable as I've ever found in a phone - and I can safely say that every nokia I had has gone onto family members who're still using them because they still work super duper. I reckon if you can handle having a phone, and not a multifunction device, just a bog-standard phone the things cannot be beaten.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My creative zen sleek has been going for ever. Had to do a firmware wipe to clean it up a lil, but still works fine. My nokia 6021 broke after about 3 months >.< stopped charging. Nokia classic is much better, touch-wood.
    [​IMG]

20. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Cookies for the both of ya :D

To the guys with the Nokias: Too true. My friend has an insane ability to break his stuff within weeks of getting them... but he has a Nokia from God knows when, and I've lost count of how many times he has dropped the sucker on a concrete floor. But somehow, it's still alive! Armageddon proof right there.

And the iPod/Zens seem to do quite well, better than I thought. I mean, with hard drives in (some of) them, you would think they would die easily?

Tags: