1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films How long till blu ray is mainstream

Discussion in 'General' started by Thatguy119, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Member

Basically, how long till you guys reckon blu ray will become mainstream and all the films which are currently only on DVD will be released in blu ray, and DVD's will stop being released? I am considering buying a DVD player, and I know quite a few people on here own one already, but away from tech forums I dont know anybody at all who would even consider buying blu rays.

I am just about to buy a load of TV series, some available in blu ray, some not. How long do you reckon till the ones that are not available will be, and how long until blu ray will be prominant in that area?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I wouldn't buy a normal DVD player now unless you're on a ridiculously tight budget. If you can't afford to buy all the series on BR I'd buy a few on DVD and let them be upscaled.

That's before we even get to how awesome decent HD content is. :D

3. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

QFT

Sony 46" 100hz lcd tv+(insert BR player here)+Iron Man(BR) = Pure Awesome.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

My Brother bought me a Blue Ray player for christmas, and I watched the Matrix triology in High Def last week - words cannot describe how awesome some of the fight scenes were compared to the DVD couterpart.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Bluray probably won't be "mainstream" for a while because the majority of consumers don't much of anything regarding HD.

However, all the latest movie releases are in bluray, so it's not like there's a shortage.

6. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Member

Im not on a free budget as Im a studant, Im just wondering whether, with the series that are in both blu ray and DVD whether there is any point at all buying them in DVD format. I awill only ever be playing them on a 32" with a cheap player, probably a sony bdp-s360.

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jan 2010
  8. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

When blu rays are pirated then its mainstream.

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

I guess you haven't really looked at torrent sites lately..? They're full of bluray 720p & 1080p rips

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I could buy HD-movies if they were sold on normal DVDs. It's not like I'd ever buy a blu-ray player, and probably a drive neither. Optical media just disgusts me :(

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

2D or 3D? :p

I read recently that Blu-ray has finally started to overtake vanilla DVD sales, so it's likely gaining mainstream status. DVD sales are still going, though, so I think the jury is still out on whether or not Blu-ray will be a transition format between DVD and streaming media. Many new TVs and media devices have networking capabilities and built-in features to connect directly to Netflix, so we could very well see digital distribution gain some ground as well.

If you're going to spend a bunch of money on TV shows, you might find out if the Blu-ray version is from an HD source, or if it's just the SD version upscaled on a Blu-ray disc. If it's the latter, you can save some money and just buy the DVD version, then let your Blu-ray player take care of the upscaling.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

It took a while in audio to get all of us off 8 track and I have hundreds of DVDs to replace with Blu. Won't happen fast. Some of my DVDs may never make it to Blu. Some probably shouldn't!

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

That would be closer to 1Tb actually for 81 1080p movies :p

14. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

the majority of people arent bothered to download it via the internet they would prefer if it was on disc for about £3

one reason is because the internet speed isnt fast enough. im just talking about the uk here im sure other nations have much faster speeds.

15. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Well-Known Member

there was talk a while back of making Tri layer Blu-Ray disks.

2 layers of Blu-Ray and 1 of DVD.
    that one just one release to suit both.
    I think they must of had problems with the idea as i'm yet to actually see one in the wild.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

They have dual-sided bluray/dvd discs also

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Omg would you steal a car? Seriously though, I don't think the moderators will approve us going to the warez-side of things.

It's one of the great hypocriticalities(?) of our time, people keep buying tons of terabyte hard drives, the F3 1 TB drive must be the single most suggested drive on the hardware forums, yet nobody seems to torrent anything... Yeah sure, like the average Joe would have hundreds of gigabytes of games, let alone photos, files and legal music.

18. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, go with the BDP-S360 over a vanilla DVD-player, don't know what they cost in the states, but here they've gone from 250 to 100 euro's within half the year.

It's slow as hell, but the picture quality over HDMI is very good, and DVD-upscaling looks pretty nice (though i'm sure the more expensive models are better).
    It's the latest generation blurayplayer so you wouldn't do anything wrong.

Unless you need the blurayplayer to give out Dolby Digital or DTS, because it can only do that as a PCS bitstream, which works well for DD or DTS streams but not as good for HD-audio formats like DTS-MA. This only works well over HDMI.

19. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I have Sky+ HD and while from a technical standpoint I can see the sharpness and quality, tbh, it adds nothing to the experience for me.

I watch HD films all the time - for example I saw Iron Man in HD on Sky Movies HD.- and I may as well not be watching it in HD.

So much so I'm prolly gonna cancel the HD pack.

My two pennies are that HD has to be a lot more impressive before I pay double for the discs and £200+ for a blu ray player.

I doubt DVD will ever die out.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Well-Known Member

Out of curiousity what are you watching HD stuff on? I can easily tell the difference between SD and HD on my 32" panasonic lcd, and can definitely see the difference on my parent's 46" panasonic plasma.