1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How many hours do you spend looking and thinking?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 12 Feb 2008.

1. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

my mod has been in the thinking and planning and gathering resources stage for about 19-20months now...

go figure

2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

A topic about planning your mod, well I guess I have to respond :hehe: I am drawing in my third notebook now, and that does not include all the pieces of paper I've used do draw something that I came up with during work and school.
    I start with something in my head, and organise those ideas on paper. When the idea starts to take shape, I work it out in Solidworks till it fits all my needs. Xtrafresh makes parts 3 or even 5 times. I do the same, but in SolidWorks :)
    At this moment, I am mostly working to make the designed parts for my case. But the flow of ideas keeps going 24/7, so a new casemod is already taking shape in my head ;)
    Before I started Cubeleon, I have spent an awful load of time on the design. And I still do, every day.

Summarizing: You're definately not alone ;) So I have to second what dutchcedar said :)

3. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

I don't even want to quantify all the hours I've spent thinking about just my latest work. I take a sketchpad to work and work out designs between customers as well as spending hours on end at home re-hashing things. I'm even delaying my project log until I have enough done on the actual work to maybe hook some interest because of all the thinking and planning. Everyone works differently though, so plan until you think you've planned enough - then start tearing things up! :thumb:

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Check my log on Sacrilege 2 for todays update. Three or four pictures after an intense measuring, marking, thinking, changing stuff and I haven't pulled out the dremel yet. It is good to know that others are/have been where I am.
    Two schools - jump in and do it then re-do it right OR
    Plan the heck out of it and do it once.

I propose a third school of thought - plan so much you never DO! I have 2 or 3 mods that were like that. I spent 7 1/2 years working on an idea I had for a personal water craft to go float fishing. Made the drawings, made the models using a GI Joe for scale. In the meantime the same general idea was manufactured in Texas. I don't want to plan and not do anymore.
    John