1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you need to spend to beat an H100/i?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by gcwebbyuk, 29 Aug 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I currently have an h100 with 2 Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans. With my 2600k overclocked to 4.7GHz using the auto voltage in the BIOS - my Prime95 temps get to around the mid 85s (that's with an ambient of about 26c).

I am tempted to build a custom loop to cool the cpu and also my 2 GTX670s, although I would start off with just the cpu and add the gpus later.

What sort of level of kit do you need to out-perform the h100 enough to make a difference?

In my last rig, I cooled an AMD 965BE, motherboard and gpu using a Zalman Reserator with additional radiators. That was then replaced with an EK DCP2.2, and couple of XSPC radiators.

That was a fair amount of money to spend on cooling, but I enjoyed building it all, so it was worth it. It also managed to reach my goal of near silent cooling which I just couldn't match with air (although a Coolermaster V10 came close...).

So my question is fairly basic, how good a pump, res, rads and blocks are needed to get a decent improvement over the pretty good H100?

Do I need to go for a DDC, a dual DDC, a D5 or a dual D5 to make enough temp gains to be worthwhile? :confused:

2. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

to be fair, for cooling/money, the h100 wins hands down in my opinion, if you want to do your graphics cards and for it all to look nice, then i would go full loop, i had a H100 and now im on a full loop,

if your concerned with temps, stick with the h100, if you want something with a little bit better temps, and looks nice, go with the custom loop :)