1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How much have you spent on hardware in the last 2 years or so? (Roughly)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cus_de_Sparta65, 7 Apr 2011.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have a spreadsheet detailing everything I have bought computer-wise dating back to 2006...I couldn't find the receipts prior to that but there was a significant amount dating back all the way to around 1994/5. I think my Scan, Overclockers & Dabs account pages go back to around 2000 or so.

There are quite a few recent items yet to be added but so far it totals £8229.55 since Feb 2006. I expect the recent items would take it to around £8.5k or so. This excludes items bought for other peoples builds where they paid me for the parts.

I won't list all 208 line items here for brevity's sake...

Since 01/04/10 and excluding stuff bought in February & March this year (I have yet to update it), it totals £2020.46.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2011
    law99 likes this.
  2. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

The last year, about $1,300-1,400 total. Almost exactly a year ago I put together my current machine which ran me about $500 initially. I then plunked down another $250 for Win7 and a 60gb SSD to go in to it about a month later (May). This winter me wife(I) got me a 24" Viewsonic LED LCD for around $130. Then about January I started buying components for my file server plus a 2TB disk for my PC. That was another about $400 since then (build is mostly complete, but I may need to get another copy of Win7 to run on the file server as XP is still giving me some issues, and I am pretty sure it is XP, not the machine). Plus in there I also bought a cheap network inkjet printer.

That doesn't include about another $150 or so I spent to wire half of my house with Cat5e and a GbE switch.

I am pretty much done spending money for a long time now, with the exception of maybe that copy of Win7 for the file server. I do want to build a new machine (buyers remorse, or maybe just SB envy). I am probably going to wait another full year though. Use some of next years tax return to put together an Ivy Bridge machine, or a SB-E (or IB-E?). Probable budget of around $1,000-1,500 next time around. That is assuming the likely pending furlough doesn't happen or we get paid back for the furlough (anxiety high would be an understatement).

3. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Be interesting to re-run this thread after LGA 2011 has been out a couple of weeks. That's going to be the basis of my next build plus I really want to move from my U2410 to a couple of 30" monitors.

4. Picarro

Picarro New Member

Stopped counting after 20.000 DKK = 2.5k pounds..

Proper hardware and AV ain't cheap :D

5. entity

entity New Member

I'm sitting at just over £2500 for computer parts, but I don't even want to think about what I spent on other gadgets and AV gear

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

£1k on my Sandy Bridge system, £750 on an Apple 27" display...and maybe £200 on RAM upgrades for the pair of Mac Pros.

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Several hundred. I would rather not count it up...

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

$1,100 for my gaming rig.
    $350 for my netbook.
    $300 for my previous rig.
    $250 for my dads pc.
    $500 for my moms pc.
    So $2,500 for everything.

9. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Active Member

Oh wow... Just in February of this year U$4K.

10. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

around 5k£ I reckon, two i7s rigs, Q acoustics speakers throughout my pad, stereo set in office, surround in living rooms. New samsung TV, new onkyo amp, pair of dell pros etc

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Since 11/29/2009 I've spent $1316.64 at newegg.com but that includes dumb little things like earbuds, external HDD cases and such

But I forgot about the laptop I bought so add $1200 onto that so a total total of around $2500

I think the sad part is that the HDDs in my system are worth more than the system itself

12. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

Seems like $2,500 is the average around here.

Before my $1400-1500 extravaganza the last year I hadn't spent anything on computer related stuff in about, oh 6 years, and that was for an Nvidia GeForce 4 used off Ebay to go in to a an old AMD machine that was at least 2 or 3 years older than that. I've pretty much lived on hand-me-downs until my P4 2.53 pretty much gave up the ghost and I decided to get re-interested in computers again. I used to be a huge IT nerd back in the late 90's early 2000's, then moved away from it a lot (though I work in IT) and now have gotten bit by the bug again.

13. Kroy

Kroy Member

£0 (on any form of desktop computer hardware at least).

But that's all about to change. Oh yes.

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Mate you can say that again!!! I'm broke as hekk.It's all been a bit of a skimp here, skimp there.

£45 Case
    £100 cpu
    £165 gfx card
    £80 hdds
    £60 mobo
    £40 memory
    £20 cheap ass speakers!
    £15 random stuff like thermal grease.
    I went halves on a tv with a flat mate! £160

£685

And I've been in and out of work recently what with the recession ,my laziness and band/musician ****. Makes you think adding it up. Especially seeing as that's just approx figures and I can't really remember if that's all!

I love the fact you already had a spread sheet made up prior to the thread. I'm loving the productivity scores you're racking up. That's plus rep at the very least! Off to do some spreadsheets myself. Feel a little inspired.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2011
  15. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

About £1000 I think may be a little more but not much.

My laptop that I got for when i'm away with work is the baulk of that plus:
    A couple of 1Tb hard drives, a 5770 for my desktop, and a portable back up drive that I got today.

I have plans to upgrade my desktop but funds are low so it'll be as and when I can afford it.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I started it for a number of reasons...

Firstly, I started it to keep a track of prices, across multiple websites, of things I wanted, to see if the price was moving up/down etc.

Secondly, after I had bought something I used it to torture myself when the price dropped sharply just after I purchased...to teach myself a lesson in patience.

Lastly, it serves as a quick reminder of just what I am spending so I can reign myself in if I start getting carried away.

We won't mention the bit about me being a bit of a spreadsheet geek...:worried:

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

All good reasons. I'm going to get a copy of office from my mates work and crack on with mine own.

Thats quite something to be tracking prices too though. Wish I did that tbh as there have been times when I haven't been convinced of value, especially with things like memory. For me it would be good to keep record of postage too. Whether they give free postage over a certain value for instance.

18. balatro2005

balatro2005 Member

When I read the thread I thought maybe £1000 at most. Im now in a state of shock at finding out its more like £3000.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

about 2000. Not too bad

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Too much. I don't want to think about it.