1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming How Much Should DLC Cost?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 May 2010.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

It's even been proven to be be done by companies much more respectful than Activision.

Given that, I am shocked that MW2 discs dont slowly degrade, forcing you to buy a new one in a year.

2. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

I'd say a reasonable amount would be 7 maps for £10.99 for MW2 not 3 for the same price.

or charge ppl £10.99 like now for the first DLC and then get the new one free.

3. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

wtf is dlc?

4. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

kings of nine wasn't an expansion pack - it was a collection of DLC on one disc, which cost approximately the same as buying them all separately - just more convenient imo.

shivering isle was the expansion pack - and a very good one at that

5. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

I would never pay for DLC. If it's an expansion pack, that's totally different. But I'm never paying more than half for those on the original game.

As far as multiplayer games go, you should NEVER charge for it. I cannot recall the number of times I've been segregated from other players because I didn't pay for a couple of files made, and the people who did are bored because no one will join them.

6. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

I think that you shouldn't have to pay for DLC. In a lot of cases its basically like the devs saying that they didnt finish the game on time so they are going to charge us extra for the finised version at a later date.
    A good example of this is the zombies map on cod: waw, released with just one map and then3 more were later released with around £5 price tag on each.

Still, lots of people do pay for these things, and thats why they keep charging for them.

7. thulsa18

thulsa18 What's a Dremel?

To be honest, 99% of dlc is overpriced. Given the small content they add, they are usually not worth it.

But I do have a question to the people that bought the Dragon Age dlc's, there is one that cost around £16. Is it really adding enough to the game to make it worth the money as I'm playing the game at the moment and like the game and would consider buying the dlc if it is worth the money

8. Chaos_Engine

Chaos_Engine What's a Dremel?

You just need to be picky, if its a game people love they will but it, always read reviews on them and how much they will add to the game. Down-loadable content is a very good way to get an extra buck out of you..

9. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

The only DLC that I have is for ME2 and that was free via Cerberus Network and if released as chargable I wouldn't have any of them (apart from Zaeed).

I don't agree with paid for DLC unless it adds something significant to the original game, if it's something that got chopped from the game then it should be free.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

the only DLC i'd probably pay for as of now is the GTA IV addons and the Burnout paradise ones.

That DLC was ace.

11. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

It would be way cooler if they just did a stand alone expansion for $29.99(usd) that added 20 hours or whatever. Like legit expansions used to do. Keeping track of every $5.00 micro transaction is a pain in the ass. Wait 6 months and sell it all to me at once and make it mind blowing instead of meh and Ill give you my spare dollars. Thank you to everyone who encourages them to make crap... Crap that I dont even get a box for. Otherwise Ill just wait for the next sequel which will come out in a years time anyways (end rant).

12. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

"customers asking if its possible to add feature X or Y to the game. With the old-style system of a single game released with a fixed price, these requests were practically useless unless they were uniform and the game was successful, in which case they’d get dumped into a sequel."

Erm no. Sorry but you seem to be forgetting there are some developers who game being huge or not continue to support it for free a couple of indies off the top of my head are Ludosity, Tripwire and Diezel power.

Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me. You clearly pigeonhole most pc gamer and basically tell us we are wrong and should accept it. Now I have no real problem with DLC have bought it myself for both indie and AAA alike but I rationalise it as a consumer where as you do it entirely from the developers pov. Which just makes you seem like you're trying to reason with us mad angry grubbing gamers.

DLC needs to be worth the investment and games that come out at the RRP of 30 quid and expect us to pay for stuff that to be fair should be in the game already and is in some cases is ridiculous. Just Cause 2 for example has hit the nail on the head in my opinion it adds things that make the game more fun for a tiny sum at decent intervals.

Online DLC can also cripple a community see MW2 but if done in certain ways ie Killing Floor model from Tripwire it can work brilliantly they give away huge updates including maps weapons and increased levels etc for free so everyone can play it but make a little bit on the premium updates via pay for player models which I dont know a single person among my friends who didnt drop the 99p on the models just to support Tripwire.

Seriously this comes off as most of your articles do as preachy crap from an obviously biased perspective you want to let people do their own thing but at the end of the day you are so far up your own arse you will always think you are right. I know I am not always right I thought I would never buy DLC hell I even thought Digital distribution would not take off but it just goes to show.

13. cliffski

cliffski Game Designer

And there are a million forum comments from peoples veiws on DLC from a gamers POV, this is obviously from a developers POV. That's the point of the article.
    Believe it or not, other people have different opinions. Try to tone down the anger a bit.

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

You are the guy that made GSB?

That game is awesome! :)

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

16. flukielukie

flukielukie The Cool Guy

I'd like more DLC supported by advertising, it really wouldn't annoy me if I saw coke cans or a banner somewhere on a map.

17. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

As an old skool gamer from Half-life days I think that they game shouldn't have 'pay-for' DLC, but be supported by the community as a whole, not only does it create a community, but also some community based addons usually become a big enough hit turning it into a pay for game.
    Community creativity is being pushed out of online gaming, MW2 proved that the developer/publisher can kill a massive community base without a blink of an eye.

Charging silly amounts for a game on the first place (FPS used to cost £20, now they are upto £50 upon release), then charging for more for 'extra' (questionable content) is ruining gaming (from a players point of view, not to mention developers will hold back on the game in the first place to make more money).
    Though I can understand why the developer/publisher needs more revenue, I see gaming slowing down, or only big developers moving to DLC, pushing smaller developers to do the same, only to fail.

PC gaming is changing, but I for one do not like the direction, and am slowly looking elsewhere for enjoyment.
    MW2 was the last straw in the CoD series, and I will never purchase another CoD game, BC2 seems to be OK for the moment, MoH series better be as good as they say, nothing else really out there that makes an impact to me, so nostalgia gaming might be the only way I get my kicks in the future (just lately I have started playing HL DM and UT 2004 for online gaming, back to the good old days).

Online gaming community model (example):
    rFactor, create game, get fan base, help build fan base into a large community, create second game, whilst listening to the fan base and community, make more money - simple.

Old saying:
    "Build it and they will come"
    Not "Build it, charge more for same and they will come"

Sad days.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

For me, Expansion packs and Map Packs are not the same.
    A few extra maps makes a multiplayer enjoyable for longer, thus prolonging the shelf life of your game. Therefore it should be free.
    An new singleplayer campaign is something else. (like the GTA "Episodes") They're parctically a sequel on the same engine, therefore a (reduced) price is well worth it.

Tags: Add Tags