1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How old is your current PC and when are you planning to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 3 Nov 2016.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

2600 on a P67 Sabretooth with 16gb 1866 Crucial tracers and an MSI 970 4G.

Would love to upgrade especially seeing as my new psu won't play nice with my old board.

Don't really play anything that new, newest being Dying Light/Mad Max and they played absolutely fine so I suppose there isn't any real need for me to upgrade or the cash to be honest.

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

2700K and a 780ti as per sig. Other than maybe grabbing a 1070/1080 or the AMD vega 10 series whenever they launch I'm not very interested in upgrading the main core of the system at all.

Will probably end up upgrading in a year or so anyhow, just for M.2 support.

3. mkb

mkb Minimodder

As per my sig. Looking to upgrade to 1440p and perhaps an entirely new rig depending on the new incoming tech of Q1. I hate playing BF1 on low :(

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I would love to go back to an AMD system as that's where I started but lost faith after bulldozer, my last AMD chip was a 955 which I still have, my daughter still runs a 1045T.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I was planning on grabbing a kabylake setup in the new year as my system had developed a nasty death cough. Turned out to be the psu which has now been replaced and everything's come up milhouse. I would like to upgrade my gpu, but more for 'the itch' than anything. With having to add 80quid to the upgrade cost for a new block and trying to buy a house, it's not really viable. I mean I could, but I like my testicles where they are.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Haven't worked for ASUS in 18 months now :) Just interested to see why there's so little chat on it. Even the Kaby DT products have been leaked but no threads. The GPU threads were super chatty but MB/CPUs seem to have zero interest. I look at myself and can't see myself upgrading in several years. I even consider Haswell still really good enough, yet we're nearly two generations beyond that.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

6700K and GTX 980

I'll read the reviews when they come out, obviously - what tech geek wouldn't? - but I have no interest in Kaby Lake. I also have no interest in VR so, unless an absolute bargain turns up, I won't be upgrading the GPU any time soon either.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What does Kaby Lake offer over and above Skylake? Haven't really kept any sort of eye on it, so I've no idea what it actually offers.

It feels like I've fallen out of the hardware loop somewhat in recent years, but to be honest I just don't care about hardware nearly as much as I used to - ironically, when I was interested in cutting- (or even bleeding-) edge hardware I wanted it but couldn't afford it, and now I can afford it but I'm not interested in it :D

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Standard 0% - 10% speed bump (depending on application).
    No significant new stuff though.

Outside of gaming above 1080p / video editing there isn't really much need to upgrade in the first place.

Cpus are boring, Amd hasn't released anything interesting in years, meanwhile in Intel land everyone and their dog has the exact same quadcore cpu with some minor variations between different generations and the X99 platform has like one single 6 core cpu worth buying (provided you fall into the tiny market segment that frequently uses software which benefits from more than 4 cores).

And mainboards have been boring for years, the death of 3rd party chipsets combined with both Intel and Amd going on a rampage to integrate everything in to the cpu has made most mainboards perform equal to an absurd extent.
    Nitpick layout in the review and move on is pretty much all there is to them any more.

Gpus are much more interesting, mostly due to there actually being something to upgrade since the rise of ultrawide / 4k / high refresh rate 1440p monitors.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Doesn't look like Kaby Lake is worth the effort - the 7600K is apparently ~10% faster than the 6600K, but it is clocked 8-9% higher, with no obvious reduction in power consumption. Don't know how the 630 IGP stacks up against the 530 in Skylake although it appears to be a small incremental increase but, for a K series chip, who cares?

Last edited: 4 Nov 2016
  11. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

I'm still on a 2500k (at 4.5) and a 7950, will probably ask Santa for a new GPU for Crimbo but can't see the point in upgrading CPU just yet, mostly because I don't really feel the need and also because most of the games I play these days aren't super system strain-ey (Doom was the last game I bought that I had unacceptable FPS).

12. tiger-moth

tiger-moth What's a Dremel?

X99, nearly 1 year old.
    No upgrade plans at the moment - probably not till there are properly affordable 4k cards.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Cheers for the info, Spreadie. It looks like it's following the standard Intel iterative improvement pattern, then. So not attractive if you're already on the latest platform :)

I can't see any real reason not to pick Kaby Lake over Skylake for those upgrading from an older system, but I guess that'll depend on the price differential between the two. Iirc it's generally not been significant in the past, but given the way tech prices are fluctuating at the moment, who knows how the prices (and availability) will go :D

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A10-5800K with 16GB in a Fractal Design Mini with an OCZ 120GB Solid 3 SSD. Cost me £427.30 in 2012, including a bunch of cables, DVD writer, and a five-port network switch.

My next upgrade will either be a Zen desktop in the same case or, if I go crazy-like, a decent laptop like Dell's now-vanished XPS 13 Developer Edition and a USB Type-C hub so I can hook it into my monitor, keyboard, and trackball.

15. Strudul

Strudul ~

Well I feel like a peasant....

Rig in my sig. Built it when I first joined the forum, through upgraded with a graphics card I won (thanks again TheGreatSatan). Swapped out the case and PSU at some point as well.

Have been meaning to upgrade for years, but never get round to it for various reasons. It's so hard when I know there will be something better if I just wait another 6 months...

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Rig is below, with no intentions to upgrade anything in the near future. Perhaps a new GPU at some point, but for the time being, nothing will be changing.

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Using 8 year old socket 1366 technology (albeit high-endish) and still don't feel the need to upgrade.

18. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

i5 3570k here, with a 670. The only part I'd even consider upgrading is the GPU, but with prices as they are and my interests shifting to other hobbies I think it'll be on the back burner for at least another 2 years

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Specs in signature - X58 with a Xeon X5650. I just haven't felt the need to upgrade!

I did replace my i7 920 about a year or so ago with the X5650 and upgraded the RAM from 6Gb to 18Gb. It seemed to make very little difference.

Most games seem to be GPU limited rather than anything else... so I haven't upgraded. At the moment I need to save money for a new car... so the PC can wait!

Perhaps I will upgrade next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2018 instead.

20. AQNFX

AQNFX Twist The Grip, Let It Rip!

I built a new pc last week. but before that it was a q600 4gb ddr2 and a 6950