1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How old is your current PC and when are you planning to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 3 Nov 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

Oldest PC is G31/Core2Duo from 2008, which is a family PC, this is about to be replaced with a used H87/Pentium Anniversary + SSD rig to give it a lift.
    There's also a P45/Q6600 rig that my son uses for homework/surfing which is going strong.
    2nd family PC is H55/G6950 with a light OC - this may get an i5 750 + SSD for Christmas.

My gaming rig is Z87/i3 and I see no need to move forward in chipset generation - an i5 K is next on the list.
    As has been said before, other than incremental generational speed bumps, motherboard/chipset changes are really only adding newer features like USB 3.1 and faster M.2.
    My M.2 is PCIe 1x bandwidth, so no gain on SATA other than size and losing 2 cables. I can see that PCIe 3.0 4x bandwidth on the latest gen stuff is going to be a benefit, but real world use may not see much change.

2. Shanx

Shanx Member

Desperate to upgrade but can't afford it at the moment, current rig below.

8year old core 2 duo E8500 @ 3.16ghz, 4GB DDR2, Asus P5Q Deluxe

Original GPU Sapphire HD4870 512 MB replaced with a Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB Windforce

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

See signature and as this build upgrade is pretty recent I have no plans for a couple or so years to upgrade though I am toying with the idea of adding an M2 SSD.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Currently running Haswell i3 with a GTX980. Next upgrade will be to stick a k series i5 or i7 in it, but probably not for another year, does everything I need it to at 1080p now. Want another SSD first as I'm getting fed up of listening to mechanical drives spinning and vibrating.

5. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

see sig.

Just bought a new house so I'm going to stick with it for a while longer.

Might drop a new graphics card in it.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tis a classic! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Nov 2016
  7. M2r1o

M2r1o Member

Upgraded to skylake (from haswell) less than 3 months ago, got an itch and had to scratch it.
    Went a bit overboard and got a i5-6600k, 16 GB DDR4 and just now added a GTX 1060.
    Have noticed zero real life difference vs my previous build (i5-4460, 8 gb ram, gtx 960), but that's life :)
    Want to move to a 1440 monitor (on 1080 now). Only other thing I'd consider is getting a bigger SSD (have 1x 120 & 1x 240 at the moment).

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The ol' Sig Rig is.. However old first generation i7's are. Maybe a bit newer. So six years?

The GPU isn't that old, though. I'll probably upgrade the graphics card eventually, but so far I've not felt the need to replace the mobo/cpu/ram as yet.

9. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

I want to know if one actually needs anything more than an overclocked i7 920 for 60 FPS gaming nowadays.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

While I built an i5 4430 a few months ago I still regard and use the PC it "replaced" as my main PC. It was re-purposed as a steam/tv recording/file server.

It was built back in November 2008 with a mixture of new and hand down parts.
    Athlon x2 6000
    ASUS M3A78 Pro
    HD4870 512mb
    Kingston 4x 2GB DDR2 667MHz
    250GB Seagate
    Coolermaster CM690
    600W PSU (That has since left this world)

Over time I've added an extra 1TB HDD, Upgrade to a GTX260, GTX460 now it's with a 750ti, dropped a phenom ii 955 in it and replaced the PSU with a 600W FSP PSU. Still a great machine.

The parents still have a Dell pentium D 940 machine kicking it.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't OC, I can't be bothered, and my bottleneck is always the GPU. Whether that's at 1920x1200, or 5460x1200.

That's part of the reason I've not been interested in upgrading. Disk speed gets the better of me occasionally, but I can live with that. I'm not shelling out for a 2TB SSD for Steam.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Why would you need a 2tb SSD for steam?

Do you really need access to all of your games at once?

13. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

My PC is still using a core 2 duo e6750 from the end of 2007, although I think everything except the processor has been replaced so I suppose it's a philosophical question whether it's the same PC.

I got a free upgrade from a 8800gts 512Mb to the 460gtx 768Mb thanks to EVGA's warranty and the G92's dodgy design :D

It did cope pretty well with Arkham City and struggled through BF3's single player, but I doubt it could play any newer intensive games.

I am planning to upgrade some time soon, but mostly to get something smaller and quieter. Somehow I can't justify to myself upgrading for any other reasons. An SSD and a bit more power to play some more modern games would be nice though. Sadly nothing as tastelessly neon as my DFI lanparty motherboard is made any more though.

14. pilsner72

pilsner72 Member

I've always favored AMD depending on the price and how good. If not my i5 will do for some time longer and I have had no need to overclock. May look at more SSD's and USB 3.1 expansion card to try out with a lumia 950.

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Same here. I have "upgraded" once or twice but only to get extra features like SATA III and better connectivity, but since 2009 I've been on the X58 platform and expect to stay there until 2017 anyways. Might treat myself to a system overhaul for my honours year at uni. :lol:

This made me chuckle. I've just been arguing with somebody online (no...never?!) about how the Surface Studio is basically a crippled gimmick that most graphics pros will eschew. My prediction is that the people who purchase it will be the types who like new/innovative tech and can comfortably afford it, and the pros will stick to "proper" hardware that has less gimmickry and more grunt. Perhaps that's a discussion for another thread... hmmm.

Edit: there already is a thread... even better.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2016
  16. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

LGA1155, IB, i7-3770K.

On an ASUS Maximus V Gene - EVGA GTX780. For about 3 years I think now.

Upgrade? Well, it was going to get an upgrade to ALL SSD hdd and a new GPU in the new year.
    But now going to be downgrading... to a box of trivial pursuit and twister.
    The dog is currently costing more than the financed car and rent combined.
    FML.

17. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Next year, definitely next year. My shiny new Asus Strix Soar is cutting out at points because I literally do not have enough CPU power to drive it. And the board is close to death. The chip is too, come to think of it.

Surprised it's still alive, this chip has seen the far side of 5ghz and lived to tell about it.

I'll be going AMD Zen if it releases and isn't completely terrible, if not; I'll buck my pride and go Intel, after all this time fighting against them with this poor burned and abused chip.

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

All in my sig.
    All fairly recent parts.
    Very happy with every aspect, no immediate plans to upgrade any of it.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

Current rig was purchased in 2007 :jawdrop:

ASUS A8N-SLI SE PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+ with HT Tech
    2048MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200
    Win XP
    GTX 650 Ti

It'll be upgraded when FPS games move from back from stupid lobbies to dedicated servers, so probs never..

20. BeauchN

BeauchN Active Member

Just finished building it. And it will be a long time before I can afford to do anything like this again :waah: