1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How on earth...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Madoron, 1 Jun 2004.

1. Madoron

Madoron What's a Dremel?

Do I get this plug off? Molex plugs no problem (the 4 pin ones anyway!... not sure if this beast is called a molex as well! :worried: )

[​IMG]

So how about it? I cant seem to see any little metal pins like the 4pin molex connectors, and there doesnt even seem room to stick a jewlers screwdriver down inside it! Anyone got an easy way? Would appreciate any help! Otherwise.... :wallbash:

Thanks everyone! :clap:

2. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

3. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

lol, i gave up on that too. i just ended up de-soldering the wires in the psu, then soldered them back on

4. Madoron

Madoron What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies! :clap:
    Question though... where do I stick the flat head screwdriver? It seems too small to get it in the small ends? Maybe I am just tired LOL!
    Also seems my PSU is one of the ones that has a different set of colours for the wires... :grr: Oh well, will make a nice pic of where they all go to remember! :D Thanks again guys!

:clap:

5. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

There is a little tab on each side of every pin. They need to be pushed inward for you to be able to get the pin out of the housing.

The best way I found to do this was by sticking a sewing pin (I used the type with the little ball on the top because it gave me more leverage) into each side of the pin to push the tabs inward. With the two pins inserted, I got a small 1.5mm screwdriver and pushed directly on the pin and it slid right out of the housing. A little tip, orient your screwdriver tip diagonally so that the tips pressure is placed on the corners of the pin. These pins have a split down the midde so focusing the pressure on the split area would widen the split and you'd lose leverage.

Some people recommend pushing the tabs inward and then pulling the pins out by yanking on the wire from behind. While this works, these wires are only connected to the pins by crimping. After one of my wires broke while doing it this way (leavning the pin still in the housing), I decided to find a better way. Pushing the pin out with a screwdriver is the best way, and if you orient the screwdriver diagonally to the pin, there's no damage to the pin at all :clap:

6. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

be carefull though

a 4pin molex connector only have 4 cable which is easy to reconnect but the actual atx plug as alot!. If you dont resolder or do put back the cables in the right order you goin to blow up your powersupply and possibly other hardware like your motherboard and cpu

so you better write down all the correct order or take another powersupply as a reference cuz you gotta be really carfull with this!

7. DAWG

DAWG What's a Dremel?

Why not just label the far ends of each wire with the same number, snip somewhere in between, do what you want to do with the loom (i take it you want to braid it) then strip back the exposed wires, solder the correct "numbers" back together and heatshrink over the wires? If you aren't too clever with soldering, then why not use small bullet connectors, and a crimping tool?

If you are braiding anyway, I dont suppose the slight "lump" in your loom will matter that much... :rock:

8. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Dont bother removing the plugs, do it like this:
    [​IMG]

9. evil_spork

evil_spork What's a Dremel?

wow thank you. not only is that usefull to do for normal use but for sleeving. now i feel better abotu sleeving my psu... WAY less work. but i still have like 10 molex's... ohwell! way less work than the atx con! :thumb: :clap:

10. Madoron

Madoron What's a Dremel?

Fantastic post! Thank you so much! :clap: That will indeed make things alot easier! maybe this should be stuck in the modding guides somewhere for quick refernece? Just a thought! Thanks again!

No more :wallbash: .....

11. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

"maybe this should be stuck in the modding guides somewhere for quick refernece"

I agree with you on that. Something so simple to do but yet very usefull!

coudos!

12. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

can i shrink heatshrink with a hair dryer?

13. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

try ! if it shrinks, nice, if it doesnt, no problem

14. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Just curious what size sleeving you're using there?

15. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I've heard of people using matches, hairdryers (good ones), and heat guns for heat shrink tubing.

16. Sniper-X

Sniper-X What's a Dremel?

Ive done it many a time and it comes out looking really good and you don't have to worry about overheating the wires :thumb: