1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs How parenthood has altered my view of gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 5 May 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's all about the turn-based games when you know you can be interrupted at any point/at random.

That's why X-Com 2 and FFX HD are the 2 games I've been playing most recently.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Well-Known Member

Since moving in with my girlfriend and becoming a dad, despite being very free in how I use my time I find it hard to get into gaming, I've a decent gaming PC and xbone in the living room but I worry about the time commitment on a number of games, I'm dying to play Alien Isolation, but you have to find save points, do I have time??!!

Currently playing DoW 2 which is handy, play a battle, win or lose, then go do some adult tasks.

I would happily accept save on exit or at least more regular save points.

I miss gaming every day but I've accepted my adult life is different and better in most ways, I don't miss using an entire weekend to game (like the girlfriends lad just did and then moaned about having done nothing)

3. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Google Image Search is your friend :thumb:

Clicky

Last edited: 9 May 2017
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Dave, your're breaking my screen width man! :worried::lol:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is where I differ. I want a story experience with some action. I have to go from game to game to game. Playing the same game feels like marriage sex: it's comfortable. You're not discovering new experiences.

6. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Yeah, the forum image resizer is borked - it looks like it works when you first post it, but reverts size wow shortly afterwards.

7. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Fair enough, everyone's different. Personally, I like being challenged - "pitting my wits" as it were, and I bore quickly of "story games".

High-intesity bite-sized gaming suits me well, and online FPS and (half-decent) driving sims deliver that hit, for me at least. Nothing too "hardcore" mind, such as twitch shooters like UT, or sims like iRacing for example. I don't have the time to invest to become good enough to compete.

BF4 is just about right, though: hard enough to be challenging but varied enough that you can be successful without running headlong into the opposition for headshots all the time. And there's something very enjoyable about competing in 64 player online battles. Sometimes things get so hectic that I can't help chuckling to myself at some of the absolutely bats**t crazy scenes that unfold. :D

Last edited: 8 May 2017
  8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I also want something with a story. I don't mind gaming after everyone is bed, but it needs to be a really good game of I stop playing after 20 minutes. I used to play everything. I tried Mafia 3 the other night and turned it off have way through the first big battle, the game play simply didn't feel tight enough. I tried Yooka-Laylee when it first came out, it looks great but I'm going to wait for the next patch before I really get into it. Just Cause 3 is almost good enough but hasn't really pulled me in. Grand Theft Auto V, South Park, Far Cry, SUPERHOT, Ori... these are all game that pulled me in. I used to be a heavy JRPG player but I don't have time for the grind any more.

Game play needs to feel responsive and rewarding.

9. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Same here, and then save :D

My "big one" managed to control direction with the left hand, and jump/grab with the right at the same time for the first time last month....I'm actually proud! :thumb:
    Now we can move on from Kirby to serious Mario!

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Becoming a parent was what pushed me to buy a Wii U. Off-TV gameplay was my only realistic way of getting away with gaming. Using up the only TV in the house to play games would have been shoving it down my gf's throat, but playing it on a gamepad was discrete enough for her to not pay it much attention most of the time.

Now, with off-TV play and Sleep Mode, the Switch is even better. I can enter and exit games in a second, take it with me around the house etc. I've wanted something like this for ages.

11. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Member

Also, headphones. I don't have loudspeakers, but wearing headphones mean I can't listen out for cries. That means I have the headphones perched precariously over one ear and not the other. Not the most comfortable way to listen to games, especially when the sound location is important.

Tags: Add Tags