1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors How Safe Are Motorbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tibby, 15 Feb 2006.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It might be a tad over £1300, but there's the Ariel Atom: 0-60 in 2.9 seconds if you're quick enough!. Quite literally the fastest thing on four wheels.

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

well i've been hit by a car and slid off in the wet on a moped in about 6 months lol both were only minor injurys :]

3. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

Motorbikes and safe ?
    Are you kidding ?

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

As stated 500 times before in this thread, motorbikes are as safe as the dude (or dudette) that's sitting on top of it...
    Actually, if the car users would be more aware of what's around them, the motorbikers would be a lot more safe...

Get out of your steel shed, and look at the world around you

5. Bunny

Bunny What's a Dremel?

absolutely bang on, imo. but i do think you're a much safer rider after two or so years and 30,000 miles on the road with a big metal safety blanket around you, if only so you can really appreciate in (relative) safety just how silly some road users can be.

On saying that, i haven't passed my bike test yet.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2006
  6. logan

logan flashback!

That's like saying "War is perfectly safe as long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot. If the enemy took a day off it would be much safer too."

I agreee a bad biker is much more likely to be in an accident than a safe biker but accidents happen. You can't deny that statistically you're safer in a modern car with all its crumple zones, airbags and safety cages than you are on a motorbike.

7. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

We aren't.
    What we are saying is that common sense, experience and awareness are major contributors to your longevity on bikes. However, as I also said, its addictive and a far more immersive experience than a car will ever be. With a bike you are literally a part of the machine (your mass can make up about 25-40% of the total weight on an average road bike), which ultimately gives you far more control, and also gives you way more feedback from how you are riding.

You're not wrong. A good percentage of bike training is teaching you to be aware that bods in tin cans may as well be driving blindfold. Next time you see a biker give you a wide berth remember this, hes doing it because hes decided you are a liability.

BC

8. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

To me when I had my mt50 on the road (yes 50mph max baby!) lol the fun outweighed the danger I think the most danger is unaware motorists like at junctions I had nurmous people pull out on me that didn't see me even though I used my headlight dipped beam in the day to improve matters.

I agree about starting out on a smaller bike while I had my mt50 on the road I had a go on a few 125's and it felt like a whole different world a 50 would be too small but a 125 is a good starter something like a nsr or tzr 125.

9. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

Yeah, true !

Tags: