1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V How should i hook up my TV??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 19 Jan 2013.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Hi Everyone!

Just after a bit of advice on how best to hook my TV and components up.

Got an xBox from christmas which through a spanner in the works.

I currently have an olf Yamaha 5.1 amp where i have all the component audio going into that, and video going straight into the TV via HDMI, but that is now getting a little complicated.

I need to wire in the following:

Sky+ HD through HDMI
    PS3 via HDMI
    xBox via HDMI
    Wii via analouge.

The speakers i have are pretty good so wouldn't mind hanging onto them, but i think the amp might be holding things back.

Any advice you lot could offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Rich!

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

Ignore.

Also, if your TV will accept it, invest in a component cable for the Wii too. You'll get the best quality picture out of it then.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

Be wary of this, most amps only support hdmi pass through, which just sends the audio right on through to the TV, requireing you backfeed it to the amp again.

Does you TV have any component imputs (the three red blue green rca connectors)? Those work for HDTV signals.

Edit:
    Also, most newer TVs will have an optical and/or rca audio output, so you can just run everything (audio) to the TV and never bother having to change the input on your amp. Some TVs don't like passing DD/DTS properly, so you still may want to connect those direct to the amp.

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

Really? Blimey, I've been out of the game for a while... Apologies for the misinformation jopers1986.

5. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

haha so have i...

Yeah has component in, but the amp doesn't. The TV only has optical out, looked into pluggin everything into the TV then optical out to the AMP, but the manual said that would only give a 2 channel output... would the amp be able to split that out to 5.1...?

6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

Was going to suggest exactly that, optical cable from the TV to the amp... but with the warning that it would probably only send 2 channels to the amp. Not surprised that your TV limits it to 2 channels output.

If you're after full 5.1/7.1 surround then you might have to look at replacing the amp - with 3 HDMI inputs being required and TVs not having HDMI outputs for audio I can't think of an alternative.

Sony have this that would work. 4 HDMI in/1 HDMI out, 2x component in and 1 component out. Definitely recommend upgrading the Wii cable, obviously still standard def but there's a definite improvement in picture quality, especially a sharper image. This one was a simple search, Sony want £200 direct so it's a certainty that it'll be available for less somewhere else.

7. play_boy_2000

Only DVD, blueray and (some) digital TV channels have true 5.1 sound, the rest is all 2 channel content run through prologic to make fake 5.1 sound. I'd connect any of the said content sources directly into the amp (optical or spdif coax ports), and run everything else through the TV, and if you prefer, use prologic.

The optical port on your tv *should* at the very least output DD 5.1 from any OTA signals.

After a quick check of my facts, it looks like HDMI 1.4 spec makes an audio return channel mandatory, so most amps should now support decoding audio through hdmi. What isn't made clear is if the TV needs to be v1.4 compliant as well, in order for it to work.

At the end of the day, you should be able to make it work, but a logitech harmony remote will probably be required to keep track of it all :)

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

Pretty sure most TVs do not support multi-channel audio out via the optical out socket, though it probably depends on the TV in question and the source/input used.

ARC needs the 1.4 spec on both ends of the cable. The cable itself makes no difference (they're either high speed or not and with or without Ethernet) but 1.3 HDMI sockets won't work.

9. play_boy_2000

Yeah, after reading up on it, is seems to be (suprise suprise) a HDCP deal that forces the 2.1 output on the optical port (OTA being the exception). It seems that the TV will request a PCM stream only, however some devices support ignoring this, in which case the TV will output bitstream 5.1 over the optical port from a HDMI connection (possibly samsung tv specific?).

For xbox Just disable 'display discovery' and set the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1

It also works on my CIS430 IPTV PVR by just selecting digital audio.

10. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Well I didnt really understand any of that, but I do have a Samsung tv...:rolleyes:

Looks like yiu csn grab an HD av receiver for around £150, will try it through the tv first with optical out, but may have to resort to the more expensive option later!

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Just replace the Amp with an AV Receiver and let that deal with all the sound not the TV. It'll switch all the video and audio, all the TV ends up doing is displaying a picture.

I have Tivo, Xbox360, HTPC via HDMI and DVD player via component all linked to my Receiver and it deals with all the sound decoding from 5.1 to 2.0 with no issues.

Was the best thing I've bought as it's so easy and even my gf doesn't moan about it being too complex!

12. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

The amp i've got is a AV receiver, but unfortunately not a HD one, wanted to avoid paying £150+ for a new one...

13. LA3195

LA3195 New Member

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ah, then I'd look at second hand Recievers then. Plenty of them available cheaply if you keep an eye on avforums:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifier-receiver-classified-adverts/

Upgrading your reciever is the easiest way of simplifying your existing setup and so long as you're not going to get a 3D TV it'll last for as long as 1080HD is the standard (4K is a long way off affordable yet!)

Last edited: 21 Jan 2013