1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to bevel acrylic?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Techx, 27 Sep 2006.

1. Zheele

Zheele What's a Dremel?

If you have an uneven edge and have access to a table router with a fence then just use the router to straighten the edge? Problem solved. :dremel:

2. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

Excelllent suggestion! Just make sure that the fence is as long and straight as possible. get a straight bit and make the diameter of it parallel with the outfeed side (left as you face the fence) and the infeed side should be set back (away from you as you face it) a very small ammount (1/32" or about .5mm). If you don't have an independently adjustable fence, you can use thin shims of plastic or cardboard between the fence board and mount. Make each pass by holding snug (not too hard) against the infeed side first, then when the sheet is about halfway through, transfer pressure to the outfeed edge. If you've used a wood jointer, it's the same process. Once your edges are straight, set both faces of the fence parallel again and setup your chamfer bit. voila!

3. Blame582

Blame582 What's a Dremel?

i'm sorry but i just have to laugh at the last 2 post

i understand what both of you guys are saying but come on
    in this case the whole reason was to save alittle money and make the table and fence diy eg because he didnt have one

like you said this is 1 way to do it but guys come on he didnt have one he can't even use one so whats the point

the best way to do this IMHO is to think about it what best suits the OP
    but if the OP would shop and look around and see what his local resources are he might find that he could
    A buy the sheet goods in the size he needs them or

B Have the supplier cut them for a fee

C buy a cheap skil saw and use one of the 2x4 for a str8t edge

D have a friend do it for him

if the OP didnt live to far from the lumber yard/hardware store/etc have them deliver it for a fee if none of the other options are avilable to the OP

so many options to consider

but hey what can i say

4. Zheele

Zheele What's a Dremel?

First you laugh at my post for not answering the OP (just pointing out that IF he had a table router straight edges wouldn't be a problem) and then you proceed by telling him how to cut a straight edge when he want's to bevel it? :sigh:

Cheapest way to bevel is probably sanding it down with some sanding paper and a block or a file if something like that is available. It won't be easy to get it pretty though. Sanding a bevel by hand is close to impossible. Belt sander, router, even a scroll-saw or something along those lines makes it alot easier.

If you don't have any equipment and don't want to or can't spring the money for some then I guess you're out of luck. :waah: If you are sanding a bevel by hand then make sure that you draw lines first and keep close to those and go slow. Good luck.

5. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Eddie Dane and I have both used one of these (scraper at bottom of page) to good effect in a couple of projects. Router table is always my first choice, but the scraper does a nice job and....it's cheap!