1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to build a touchscreen all-in-one PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Jul 2010.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I'm pretty sure that the cameras in Microsoft Surface solutions don't use cameras that see the heat from your finger, just IR light around the 800-950nm range. After all, the systems are heavily pitched with their object recognition based on the IR tags that are affixed to devices, and the tags (stickers) don't put out heat but are easily capable of reflecting IR light from below. I believe it is a DI (diffused illumination setup) with the 5 cameras, where there is an IR source in the enclosure, and the cameras have color filters to only allow IR light. Actually it is not all that difficult to build a similar system. Nearly 3 years ago I had a simple multi-touch system running at home that was quite similar to the technology behind Surface, but I only used 1 camera instead of 5.

2. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Yes, using FLIR cameras would be far too expensive - you're talking $3-4k per camera at least, with a low resolution.

Microsoft might have made some bad decisions in the past, but they aren't that dumb.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

pretty sweet mod, I think they make itx sized boxes that mount on the back of monitor Versa (?) holes

4. REDDEVIL-UK1

REDDEVIL-UK1 MUFC

i want go go gadget arms!!!!!!!

5. mrbens

mrbens New Member

It's not really a 'touch-screen' if you don't actually have to touch the screen!

Joking aside this sounds great, and I hate fingerprints on things so just moving your finger close enough for the sensor but not touching the screen sounds better to me. :)

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

when reading webpages that are bigger than your screen, touch is useful.
    try a touchscreen in bad company 2 on the kit selection screen, its so easy, lol.

does anyone read gizmo online mag, turning pages makes it feel like a real magazine, well almost anyway, lol

7. [- pio -]

[- pio -] New Member

Yeah, he tried using one in this project, but the stand on the monitor was already using the VESA mount holes..

8. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Well-Known Member

You can get the touch screen kits for netbooks on ebay pretty cheap.
    Installed one on my Aspire One, fair pain to install it but it is rather useful

9. REDDEVIL-UK1

REDDEVIL-UK1 MUFC

are one for SFF any good???

10. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

no mod log? :(

cheers for this idea, will look into it

11. Howling_Wolven

Howling_Wolven New Member

They exist.

I've had one =P.

Was so much fun, but the glass cracked, breaking the touch system =/

Dell 2120 with 10.1" hires touch monitor, 320GB SSD(Spinning storage drive), N550 dual core, and 3G card. Those were fun times. :hip:

Tags: Add Tags