1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage How to convert HDD to basic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 27 Feb 2011.

1. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

I have a Maxtor 250GB HDD. I once accidently converted my HDD to a dynamic one. But now i want to convert it back to a basic disk so that i can format my HDD and reinstall windows.(windows wont install to dynamic disks) How can i convert it back to a dynamic disk???

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No idea what Windows version you use, but on Win 7:

Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management Select the disk... delete the volume, then just create a new volume of the correct type, and format it.

3. [KNIGHT]

I have win 7.

I did what you said for the D and E drives. but i cant do that for the C drive on which my OS is there. The delete volume option is unavailable.

4. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Did the same thing once, used TestDisk (tutorial) to convert back to basic.

5. [KNIGHT]

when i right click on the disk (disk 0) i see the option to convert to basic disk. But that option is not available (not highlighted) What can i do?

6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

The computerm management tool in Windows won't allow you to format the boot partition - Windows would crash during the format. The same computer management is the same in XP/Vista/7.

Just found this from the Microsoft Knowledgebase - dynamic disks are OK for the listed versions of Vista and 7 (Pro/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate).

You best bet is to boot from the Windows DVD and try formatting from within the Windows installer (both XP and 7 allowed me to format drives prior to installation 2 weeks back when I got my dual-boot system setup). From the previous KB article I've linked to it looks like that may not work - the final suggestion is to try Diskpart.exe from the DVD though I guess that it requires a working Windows install.

Otherwise try Xlog's suggestion - looks like that would do the job.