1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to disable the automatic drive install feature??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by prince88, 13 Jul 2010.

1. prince88

prince88 New Member

Hey guys. I was trying to reinstall my video drivers for my 5870. I used ati uninstall utility to remove my drivers. Upon restart window 7 ultimate would automatically install its own drivers and I do not want that.

What I have tried:

I went to device manager and disabled the driver and uninstalled them that way but same results when I restart.....windows automatically installs driver.

So my question is how do I disable the feature where windows automatically installs the drivers?? What do I do....any suggestions??

Thank you guys

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Windows only installs a generic VGA driver doesn't it?

Else, you'd never be able to install the ATI driver as you'd never get an output from your card because windows didn't have a driver.

3. prince88

prince88 New Member

oh okay. Thanks

4. glendronach

glendronach New Member

Vista and Windows 7 have built in driver stores and automatically install the relevant driver for you. There is also the possibility that Windows 7 will download and automatically install drivers using Windows update.
    You can try a program called "Driver Sweeper". http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/. You may need to do this more than once to get Windows 7 to install the basic vga drivers.

5. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

:blah: Just install the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer, that way the generic drivers wont be used