1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How To Make Your Own Watercooling Reservoir

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Feb 2010.

1. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

If it's a standing reservoir, you can call it the Res-Erection!

[/pun]

Awesome article! DIY is much more fun!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be frank, we only ever had a few dozen guides, but we used to do less content so it seems like more. Now we do 10 pieces of unique content week-in-week-out. And you have to say since last .. sept, we've been pretty consistent with our modding content and had the huge mod of the year compo ;)

Also, people have seen most of it all before to be honest, and most of the guides in the modding and project log forum are where the hardcore modders find them. Finding something excellently written, unique and well documented that's long enough for the front page is quite difficult.

They generally don't make great front page traffic drivers and certainly don't help us secure advertising, which unfortunately is the commercial endeavour of any professional website (I enjoy getting paid! :D). Actual mods on the other hand don't either, but the traffic and community relevance are far, far greater - it promotes more discussion and ideas than just a single how-to article, so we're much more happy to keep that alive just for the community :):thumb:

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Hi Frank! I think there has been a good amount of content in the past 6 months or so. It went through a slow period for a while but in the past few months it's much better. I agree there is not a whole lot you can really do as most all of it has been done.

I would suggest maybe taking some of the cool ideas that people do in their project logs and try and get them to do a piece for the front page like this reservoir making thing.

Maybe a thing on doing fancy sleeving/cable management, build a lcd fan controller etc... Even if some stuff has been done before or seems rather basic, put a couple different topics in one article.

There are many cool ideas people have in their project logs and its a great place to see them, but with sooo many active project logs at a time I dont even see half of them and probably miss out on a lot of cool ideas.

4. Darkraven

Darkraven New Member

I understand Bindi's point, getting paid is a biggie. Still, I wonder how many company reps monitor the modding community and trends as closely as possible. Seems to me it would behoove them to do so, even the ones unwilling to sponcer people.

For example who would have thought a few years ago MDPC-X would set the standard in sleeving and raise the bar for someone else to try and achieve. And could they get people to actually pay the price for their excellence and be willing to order overseas with it's freight cost, seems to me Bit-Tech played a major role in getting the product known for that to happen.

As a modder and small consumer I can't foot the bill for a site like this, but I would hope my consumer dollar is at least in part going to companys doing so and being aware of the community. After all, Bit-Tech not only provides a great service for modders but the companys we buy from as well.

I hope this is not a vague point or I'm out in left field with it.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow well that last page on tubing was very helpful, will keep that in mind for the future. :)

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I do like the tube bending trick, that can come in handy. But doing a reservoir takes to much time and money for tools, Plexiglas. glue, etc. to do yourself. There are a dozen reservoirs out there in different price ranges. I do however have the respect for modders doing their own reservoir.

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Just ask the CnC god to do something on CnC. ;)

8. voigts

voigts New Member

I'm glad to see the feedback on this, and appreciate RIchard putting this up to be a help to the Bit-tech community. When you build your own cases, it is so helpful to be able to make a res customized to exactly your needs, size, and watercooling loop layout. I hope this is a help to others here.

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It was the serious modding content that made me start reading a bit more of bit-tech back in the day. Every tech website will have a review of the next big new graphics card or game, but I stick around on BT for the decent, unique, content like this.
    moar plz.

I've heard the technique of warming tubing to get it round tight bends, or over a tight barb before, but I'd not heard of then cooling it to hold the shape, it's a nice idea.
    Even if I am in the "fill and prey" camp ;)

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

All it needs is "Made in Sweden" printed along the side.

11. ModaRobby

ModaRobby New Member

Except... If you guys made it a habit to post one How-To modding article a week it would be phenomenal. Even if it's just one or two pages. :thumb:

You are right about digging through the project logs to find good mods. The digging part is the hard part though.

12. doc_cls

doc_cls New Member

Very nice fabrication article, BUT...

*** WARNING! ***
    Testing with pressurized air only is VERY DANGEROUS. Pressure vessels in industry are tested almost completely filled with water, using only a small amount of compressed air to provide the actual pressure. Called "hydrostatic testing", this is done for safely. Don't believe me? (I'm a professional engineer) From Wikipedia:

"Water is commonly used because it is almost incompressible (compressible only by weight, not air pressure), so will only expand by a very small amount should the vessel split. If high pressure gas were used, then the gas would expand to perhaps several hundred times its compressed volume in an explosion, with the attendant risk of damage or injury. This is the risk which the testing is intended to mitigate."

Pressurized air released suddenly by a failure would (not could, would) send acrylic shards flying.

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I can understand the need for hydro testing when you're testing tanks rated at 5000PSI, but for 9PSI too?

Tags: Add Tags