1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to mod a case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by chimeradog, 21 Jul 2010.

1. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

hi guys i'm new to case modding.....i'm fed up with my lousy 310 case and do not wish to spend money upgrading the case...in fact i wish to mod my own case...but i dont even have a idea about it....

can you guys teach me how to do my own case....wad materials shld i use n wad tools i'll need?

every help is apreciated

thanks a lot:D

2. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

What do you want to change?

Any ideas yet?

3. chimeradog

i'm thinking of a building a brand new case myself is it possible?

4. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Yes, it's definitely possible, but as a beginner it might be be a bit too advanced a project for you.

We can give you list after list of tools and materials you need, but it would be pointless if you didn't know what you wanted to do.

Brainstorm about your mod a bit and then ask again. Check out the project logs for great examples.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is about as broad a topic as you could have posted. Just for the record, this could be likened to me posting a thread in the help sections asking how long a piece of string is. Case modding is a skill and an art, and like any skill or artform, it begins with a vision of what you want the case to look and function like. Once you have gotten some ideas from the thousands of case mods that are logged here on bit-tech, we would be more than glad to give you some guides as to how to achieve what you're after. If you're stuck, a few pictures of the case would let us see what configuration it's in at the moment and see where there's room for improvement and what sort of potential it has.

Cheapskate likes this.
  6. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Agreed with Unicorn. Post up some photos of the case and we'll give you a hand. It's also worth letting us know what tools you already have access to, and you'd be surprised what you can achieve with some simple tools. Most importantly we need a budget, tell us the absolute maximum you would like to spend on this case. Once we have all of this information, the community - and it is a big community - will help you get to work. I for one love helping people out and giving ideas.

Oh, and make sure they're decent enough pictures as well, either that or get some stock photos.

7. chimeradog

ok...i'll start thinking what this case will look like...the function...yea i will update you guys tomoro...gotta think haha

8. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

Guess im slightly biased when i say engrave it :p

9. Spongeblunt

Spongeblunt Captain of Your Face

You can do an awful lot with a dremel, some cheap mesh and a few quids worth of cathodes :D

10. chimeradog

ok now i figured out the case features....the case a two 120mm fans in the front,rear and the top of the case....on the side panel will feature a 140mm or another two 120mm fans blowing in air....

i also hope that this case can be watercooling ready but i dont know much about watercooling equipments now....but maybe it cant fit in 2-3 140mm water radiators

this case will be a full tower case.....i'll update the dimensions later on....

11. *brian*

*brian* What's a Dremel?

I started but modifying existing cases to add improvements... such as painting a case, adding fan holes, a window. Then from there you might come across other limitations that a dremel can't solve or an exisiting case that can't be altered to meet your requirements.

The next step to building cases might be to use parts from existing cases, such as the motherboard tray or drive bays.

Each of this steps is increasingly hands-on. When you're ready to build a case from scratch you've got a variety of materials to choose from, not just metal, but acrylic/perspex or even wood. You can't expect to build a case or anything out of these materials if you have no previous experience... you'll probably start off with a load of ideas and end up with an un-finished project.

12. chimeradog

means that maybe i can use some of the components inside my existing case to add to my project?

13. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

Sure... the MoBo-Tray for example...
    or the start-/reset-switch

But are you sure you want to start with sth that hard? Have you at least ever worked with jigsaw, Dremel and stuff?

14. chimeradog

no actually....i'm just a student...i wanna do this because my father keeps restrcitng me on my pc upgrades...so i decided to to a mod on my current case....

is it possible that i can extend the height of my case and redo a side panel and front panel?

15. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

(Almost) Everything is possible ;)

The question is if it is possible for you =)

Why don't you load up some pics of your case (as I'm not sure which you have) and try to find basic stuff that you can do as a beginner without too much tools and experience?

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Don't think about what you want to do to the case, think about what you want the case to be like, and then decide what fab work must be done for that to happen.

Extending a case is a huge pain in the ass. You might be able to bolt an external enclosure or something like that on there, but lengthening all of the panels would require an obscene amount of fabrication to get everything to align. Why do you want to extend it?

There are a couple things that aren't too difficult. You can do painting pretty easily, and add extra location for fans. You can cut a window, or make cosmetic changes to the panels pretty easily.

In general, though, it is easier to cut than to add material.