1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware How to Overclock Your Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 15 Sep 2010.

1. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Don't forget with overclocking you may be able to add more AA, shadows, effects etc whereas before OC you may have had to limit the special effects or resolution to make it playable. :)

But I agree there's little point overclocking it if you can play everything on max settings at stock speeds but I doubt most people will be able to max everything with newer games at high resolutions without at least a little overclocking.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

try this good.. you can load in all your trusted apps at login using the task scheduler in vista/w7

[​IMG]

GoodBytes likes this.
  3. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

Nice article bit tech, but how much does over clocking increase ppd (if at all)?

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Cool thanks.
    But, another thing, is that at idle state of my computer I don't want my GPU overclock, and I don't want to switch by hand profile (and I know it's broken (like always) in nTunes this system).

5. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Quick tip, advise people that if they have a card with a non-ref PCB that they may not be able to overvolt.
    Like my card -.-
    Although i did manage to get a 75 mhz core and 200 mhz memory oc.
    (HiS 5850 iCooler V)

6. thehippoz

yeah afterburner has a 2d and 3d profile built in- you can have different clocks on the desk than in 3d (set automatically).. the osd is nice too- allows you to turn off detection of certain games to run the more conservative clocks if you want.. not as nice as rivatuner, but not as bloated so I still use it

the guy who wrote it actually openly calls people who use his app (precision and afterburner) noobs xD.. it's actually a really nice program though- I load in precision to set clocks first, then kill it with a script and afterburner is run (this gets by the apply oc at startup if your not using 2d/3d profiles)

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Works with ATI cards too.

It's possible you are right. I didn't know the newer Nvidia cards were having issues with it. It will be fixed eventually I expect. I know that broadly speaking it works for most of the Nvidia and ATI range. And a great many from both camps use it.

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

folding performance should increase linearly with GPU speed - increase the frequency by 20 per cent and your ppd should increase by 20 per cent. Folding's nice like that!

9. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

It's only unstable if you dont stability test properly.

Furmark: Inefficient means to establish stability, to be ignored

Game: Crysis: Warhead (specifically WARHEAD not VANILLA)

Level: First snow level

Time: 1 hour

Note: Do NOT restart after, simply carry on doing other gaming/internet/films whatever. If it passes the evening without a VPU recover, it IS STABLE.

(I've had one clockspeed setting flake out after 25 minutes, and another 3mhz slower go on for 1 hour 20 mins before I got really, really bored of Warhead. That setting was all-day-gaming stable.)

10. fu3lman

fu3lman Firestarter

I wanted to make sure I wasn't daydreaming about the problems I was having with RT so I took 10 seconds and Googled "rivatuner gtx460" and this was what I found (I'm having the same issue, even with the newest drivers/rivatuner versions).

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/793511-gigabyte-gtx-460-rivatuner.html

As far as I know, the problem may well be limited to only Gigabyte cards. I'm at work and too many results just get axed by our proxy gateway.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in fact, Folding does not hit as hard on memory as games, so you can just do maximum GPU overclock and get pretty much linear increase in PPD

12. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Don't worry. Riva Tuner isn't working with my Palit 460 so I've had to plumb for afterburner for now to help me keep a lid on temps during folding.

It is rather funny setting my fan speed up to 100%. Noisy would be an understatement! :)

13. thehippoz

on the thing with instability.. you can keep the memory oc'd relatively low from my experience.. a lot of the instability will come from memory errors- you can get a high core/shader without going crazy on the memory speed

like the 8800gtx remember without a voltage mod, 660 was the max- least on mine and I had a hr-03 plus cooler installed.. but the way it stepped, the core was actually running at 648 at any setting between 642-661.. that's why you'll notice it'll look like fine then all of a sudden hit a brick wall at a certain number

at 662 you jump to 675 core.. ect

edit: might well add this link in here too- helps when oc'ing on vista/w7 with current drivers

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2417584&postcount=47

14. nickolay

nickolay What's a Dremel?

for some reason i cant use 3dmark vantage as it saz COM Surrogate has stopped working :*(
    and thats even if i want to check if my system is compatible with it. not even running the damn thing.

dont know what to do.

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

OC noob here......

How do i know if im CPU bottlenecked??? Recently picked up a GTX 460 after reading the raving review on this site and its been fantastic......much better than my *cough* 8600GT *cough*

But im not so sure that Im able to take full advantage of it. Iv got a Q6600 @ stock 2.4Ghz. I know my Mobo being PCI x 16 1.0 is holding it back a bit. (GPU works with 2.0) But im more curious about the CPU.

Havnt had any issues frame rate wise to date, but i have only been playing BFBC2 and SC2.

A similar simple short and sweet guide to OC a CPU would be good. But probably not possible with possible voltage tweeks and all the diff BIOS configs.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

A quick way to test for cpu limitation is to get some FRAPS average FPS data (from a quick run through in say BF:BC2) with your cpu at stock and then compare it to your cpu at say 3ghz. If the framerate goes up noticably then you are cpu limited, if it doesn't move then you are not. Of course this will vary from game to game and be heavily dependant on the resolution you are running.

To give you an idea, the GTX460 in my wife's machine is massively cpu limited when playing L4D (the little E2160 is just not quick enough to feed the card the data required), Metro 2033 on the same system is noticably GPU limited. The system only runs a 1440x900 screen and hence a cpu limitation is more pronounced as the GPU is hardly stretching its legs at all. At 1920x1080 and above you will start to notice GPU limitation more and more as the GPU will start to become the limitation.

17. cody beach

cody beach What's a Dremel?

short but useful

18. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Yep, true - I was only talking about increasing GPU speeds. In fact, you could probably underclock your graphics memory if wanted to give your cooling slightly less work.

Good clarification though, thanks!

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

The software that comes with the Matrix is called iTracker2. Normally I would just stick with rivatuner(<3), but I can't get it to allow the voltage control that I can get from iTracker2, so looks like we are stuck there :/

20. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Using MSI afterburner I have increased my Gigabyte GT240 512mb GDDR5 to the following clocks:
    Core 715
    Shader 1742
    Mem 2040.

No voltage increase, and card is not breaking 35 degrees at full F@H load, and is stable.
    Afterburner is maxed out so nfi where to go from here with this card. Maybe need to leave it as is to make sure I don't fry anything.

Now if only my board would OC the cpu's ><

Tags: Add Tags