1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Quieten Your PC Part 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Koolvin, 31 Jul 2001.

1. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Discuss here

2. jmacnicol

jmacnicol What's a Dremel?

This actually refers to Part I of the article, but I'll put it here instead of a new thread....

I have recently built a similar setup: "quiet" supply from QuietPC and AOpen HX08 case. The CPU is a 1.33GHz Athlon.

The bottom line is: it's quiet but it runs *very* *very* hot. The AMD thermal guidelines state that Athlon power supplies should have vents under the supply (i.e. above the CPU in a tower case) for removing heat. With the original AOpen supply (which I found wasn't loud) the CPU temperature gets up to about 60 degrees C, but with the "quiet" suply it gets up to 80-85 degrees C and the motherboard temperature is about 40 degrees C (measurements according to on-board sensors on ASUS A7V133-C motherboard). With a couple of case fans I can get this back to 70 degrees C or so.

I'd be interested if the original reviewer (or anyone else) was seeing temperatures like this. I gather this is below AMD's recommended maximum temperature but I don't feel comfortable running this hot.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

80-85 :eek:

you sure your using the right settings in whatever your reading them in.

you shouldn't go above 55c to be safe!

4. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

I didnt do the review, but in its wake I purchased a 300W non-P4 compliant QuietPC PSU.

To the best of my knowledge, the unit didnt run any hotter than my current PSU, however the unit became faulty, and it was replaced with the 300W P4-compliant offering.

I havent noticed that the motherboard temps are any higher with either of the units, but then my Cooler Master has good air flow etc.

But to the touch of the case, I would say that the P4 compliant unit seems to run slightly hotter than the non-P4 varient.

That's just my opinion though, and it could be different for every PSU.

5. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Man, you should *not* be getting temps like that in this case...you got any case fans in there? I didn't notice any temp increase when I went from the Aopen to the QuietPC supply.

6. jmacnicol

jmacnicol What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies.

I am using the "Asus Probe 2" applet thing that comes with my board to measure the temps. I don't think there are any "settings" to fiddle with -- it just works (or doesn't work....).

For the record, I'm using the quiet Athlon cooler from QuietPC also. I suspect I need to reapply some decent thermal compound between the CPU and the fan, however the main issue here seems to be what happens to the hot air in the main area of the case. If I hold an 8cm fan above the CPU fan (with the case open) to blow the air directly out the temperatures are acceptable. I just don't think there is enough airflow in the case when using a power supply that doesn't have a fan in the bottom. I have tried putting a couple of case fans in, but they are a long way away (in the very bottom and top of the case) because with the HX08 there is nowhere else for them to go. They help a little, but it's still hot compared to the AOpen supply only with no other fans.

Does anyone have any actual temperature readings (i.e. actual numbers from onboard probes) for a QuietPC setup ? Would be interested in motherboard temp. also.

I am seriously considering ditching the supply and getting something else (another AOpen or one of the Enermax supplies). I could try filling the case with fans but this is noisy and expensive compare to gettting a new supply.

7. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Last night I nearly burnt out a second computer in two weeks :eek:

I bought an AOpen H300A MicroATX case to house the Duron 750 / PC Chips mATX motherboard system I have.

It runs as a server, Linux, naturally, and stays on all the time...

but after being on for 36 hours it stopped working. It was very hot.

VERY VERY HOT

Thankfully after deconstruction and an hours stand to cool down, it works again...but the first time this happened to me (I fried an AMD K-6 III a couple of weeks back) I was not so lucky...

8. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

I almost burnt up my chip. Delta fan was trying to eat a wire... Not good!

Tags: Add Tags