1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How to speed up my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 24 Jan 2011.

1. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Possible, but extremely unlikely.

2. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

i dont remember any folder like that. But still im not sure the keylogger has spreaded.

padrejones2001 im not trying to be an extremist. But is it possible to remove that possibility also? because i want to have a clean system.

I checked the files and folders in the pen drive. I enabled show hidden files and folders from folder options. But didnt see any suspicious files

3. padrejones2001

Think about it from a data miner's perspective. The purpose of a keylogger is to track every keystroke on your computer at all times. If I wanted to track all the data on your computer, which is easier? Stashing it in your System 32 folder in your C:/ drive or putting it on a pen drive that may not always be connected to any computer? Moreover, it would require the keylogger to propagate through external drives. Not everybody has external drives, but everybody has a C:/ drive. So if I wanted to spread keyloggers through external drives, it would eliminate an enormous amount of my target audience. Or I could put it in your C:/ drive.

So yes, technically, it is possible, but from a social engineering perspective, not very likely.

4. [KNIGHT]

glad to know that i can use the data on my pen drive W/O being scared of plugging it into my computer. thx padre.

I thought when something like that enters a computer, it would stay in the computer and infect the external drives attached to it. And when that external drive is connected to another computer it goes into that computer too.

5. padrejones2001

Nah, that's not the way it works, fortunately. The only way it would transfer to your computer is if there were a command that was executed when the drive was mounted. That's another reason why it's extremely unlikely to be on the pen drive. There would be too many variables and it's just easier to put it in the C:/ drive to begin with.

6. [KNIGHT]

i formatted and installed windows today. And i kept 20GB for the C drive which contains ONLY windows. D for programmes and E for data.

Now its fast. But why do computers speed up after a clean install and slow down after some time?

7. padrejones2001

In short, poor maintenance. Windows is very easy to clean up and speed up, but you have to have the knowledge to begin with and Microsoft doesn't really advertise it.

8. bladecs_04

bladecs_04 What's a Dremel?

i would recommend that you download ccleaner and defraggler both free. ccleaner cleans out all the unused files that are slowing your machine down it can also be used to clean your registry files. defraggler is a non windows version of defrag so it does the same thing but quicker after my fresh install i ran both of these on the windows drive and there was already files that needed defraging and cleaning.