1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How to turn off igpu on laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by enfluence, 30 Apr 2013.

1. enfluence

enfluence Member

So I just got my laptop. It's got a gtx 680m and it always chooses the igpu over it. I've uninstalled the intel hd drivers and now I've got no screen... I've had this problem before and I needed to reformat it to fix it. Is there anyway to fix this?

Laptop is the p170em

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Are you sure it's not just choosing the igpu over it when on the desktop etc?

How are you checking which it's using?

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I would want the frugal igpu being on on the desktop instead of a power guzzling (i love that word) discrete gpu. As long as it switches when it's needed, of course. Does it?

4. enfluence

enfluence Member

I know because I've had this issue before and when i go to install the nvidia drivers it says theres no compatible hardware found yet in the bios theres the 680m right there. I need to know how to make swap over the igpu because right now theres a sceen with low res...these integrated graphics cards are ****ing awful...

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Automatic switching between discreet GPUs and integrated has long been a bit unstable in Windows. Are you saying the 680m wouldn't even kick in when really needed such as gaming?

As your laptop is (How do I say this nicely) a generic machine I'm assuming you'll have to use the nvidia software rather than anything specific to your machine.

You could try looking at:
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm

For info: Apple who (love or hate them) are not ones to introduce software complexities when related to hardware capabilities have got graphic switching licked in OSX, it always works perfectly and seamlessly. But they don't support it under Windows, you always get to use the dedicated GPU.

6. enfluence

enfluence Member

Thank lol seems i had to set it to always use the nvidia gpu in the nvidia settings as it didn't swap over....strange also is how it needs the igpu intel drivers to even run the nvidia ones...Guess that's just how notebooks work