1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How would you spend the cash?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SwiftDestiny101, 11 Aug 2009.

1. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Got some £200 more money to spend on trinkets for my new(ish) build and can't figure out quite how to distribute it.

Should I A; Buy a Corsair H50 and a £130 BenQ monitor as reviewed by CPC last month.

or

B; Buy a £200 monitor of some description?

I honestly don't know what I'll appreciate more, my current O/C makes my system run at 77 when transcoding vid's and playing games. This worries me a bit as my processor shouldn't go above 67.9 according to Intel. That said I only have to drop 200Mhz, which is .05V and it goes under that anyway.

I currently have a Dell Value 1680x1050 21" monitor which I'll be pleased to shove to the side so any monitor for me is an upgrade.

So yeah, lose 0.2GHz and have an awesome screen, or keep it and have a nice screen and colder CPU?

Really can't decide so what would some of you do?

2. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

If you are going to spend £200 on a better monitor you could jump to a 24" monitor which would take much greater advatage of those gtx 275s you have and you could bump games up to 1900 x 1200 resolution. That would be my personal choice.

Reviews like this one: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/ suggested that the titan is better at cooling so I don't see any point in upgrading that. Get a cheap 24" like this samsung, it is only a TN panel but it will be a great upgrade.

thehippoz likes this.
  3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Depends what monitor you already have, if it's just a low res 19" or something go for a 20" Dell 2209WA (e-IPS) or a good TN 24", Titan Fenrir is supposed to be good enough so just drop your OC.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Put it this way...you aren't going to get any performance boost at all noticeable from 0.2GHz. I personally wouldn't consider watercooling until I had spent all the money on components first (ie. I would only give the highest end of systems watercooling). And, to be honest, you probably aren't going to get any gains in overclocking ability with going water. A hell of a lot of big overclocks are being done with air on i7 :)

Definitely the screen, you'll actually notice the difference :)

5. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Well, that put the nail firmly in that coffin :lol:

I was so close to buying that corsair too, I even had it in my shopping basket on Scan. The only thing I wondered about it is the airflow in my case is a little, well, buggered. Don't ask me why, I think just the Fenrir disagree's with my fans or something. When I first built it I put it all in a thread here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=169413 and I re did my TIM but it's still not dropped to where a Fenrir should be. Like my system temps are 45/77, now people on these forums with an identical O/C have 39/66 under a TRUE, and I didn't think there was 10 degrees difference between them.

So bearing in mind my Fenrir is unhappy, and I would probably see more gains than most, still the monitor? :)

Thanks for all the advice so far :D

6. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net