1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.6.1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graysky, 25 Mar 2008.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Dunno, it gets my E2180 cores OK, and all the other numbers seem to tally. Must be your motherboard.

Keep up with the HWMonitor versions (now 1.08) and try running HWM on its own.

edit: ver.1.07.1 (below left) agreed with the others, new 1.08 (right) is about 15C higher on cores. :confused:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Apr 2008
  2. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Fantastic guide, very helpful, i'll be using this guide to help me build my new machine once all my parts have arrived.

Thanks !

3. graysky

graysky What's a Dremel?

Guide is now version 1.6

• Added a detailed section to help you find the minimum stable CPU and MB vcore settings. Check it out (near the bottom of the guide entitled, “Stress Testing and Minimizing Your Vcores”)!
    • Updated the CPU table
    • Provided a less than $5 method you can use to shave off some NB load temps (in the thermal management section at the end of the guide).

4. graysky

graysky What's a Dremel?

Version 1.6.1 is up. Totally re-wrote the section on memory which now includes a discussion on both DDR2/DDR3 and formulas you can use to calculate max supported FSB of a given module based on it's DDRX-Y and PCX-Y designations. Also re-ordered the first part of the guide.

5. Chokwok

Chokwok What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much, excellent stuff!

6. mel12yan

mel12yan What's a Dremel?

about changing the settings on my BIOS

hi there.. im a first timer in overclocking..just wanna ask if it is really normal when i change my settings in the BIOS in the ADVANCE tab>DRAM settings.. i changed the AUTO into DDR2-800 then after that i clicked ok and suddenly my PC just turned off...is that normal?.. im trying to understand the basics of overclocking but i think im too nervous to complete other instructions... My Proc is a C2D E6300.. My Mobo is p5b Deluxe, my MEM is TEAM ELITE EXTREEME DARK edition DDR2800 1GBx2, my VCARD is MSI rx3870 512x256 and i have my ASUS VR Guard CPU cooler...i know that my hardware is not that good like the others..can you please help my in overclocking my PC?...anyone..thank you!

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

There's no OK button in the BIOS - do you mean you're using a windows utility?

8. ktmakwana

ktmakwana What's a Dremel?

thanks!

9. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

awesome guide, it would be nice to have thread so we could share what fsbs,voltages and other OC settings we got with different cpu's and motherboards :D just an idea ;) or is there one already?

10. thim83

thim83 What's a Dremel?

That was very useful thank you

11. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

Now i finnaly have my new computer i might be able to start my first overclock!

Specs:

CPU: Q6000 G0
    Mobo: MSI P45 neo-f (had to skimp on this due to rising prices:( )
    Cooler: Arctic freezer pro 7
    GFX: HD 4850
    RAM: 4GB Kingston PC6400

Now im not completely useless! I have read around to find out a bit, but i have stumbled across a problem. I know that you have to make sure that the PCI-E speed stays at 100Mhz as it could damage my graphics card, but I cannot find anything in the "Cell" menu in the bios to do this, and it won't let me change voltages from their defaults (auto) either. I'm probably missing something very simple but i cant find anything.

any help is appreciated.

P.s I heard they the Q6600 can reach 3Ghz easily (the reason for buying it) woudl i be ok just bumping up the fsb straight to 333Mhz (without changing voltages) and then stress testing to make sure?

Updated with stock idle temps using hwmon and core temp:

[​IMG]

After 30 mins of prime 95

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  12. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

13. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Great Guide, using it to OC my E7400 with a P5Q Pro (Similar BIOS to yours OP) and im currently at 4Ghz just by changing the FSB to 380Mhz, and setting the CPU Settings to the ones you recommended. Gonna push for 4.2Ghz, then start lowering the Voltage if i can.

14. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

How are you getting on with the P5Q-Pro? How are the temps going, do you need much voltage through the E7400?
    I recently built a new system for my dad with a P5Q-pro, E8400 (similar) and a Akasa 956BL, he wanted something he wouldn't have to upgrade for a while so when it starts getting a bit slow I said I'd help him overclock it. Quite a different system to my Q6600 so I'm curious to see how it might perform?

15. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

I've got the FSB at 381 Mhz for a clock of 4Ghz. Voltage set to 1.3V.

Basically follow the guide, turn on AI tweaker, set the rest to auto, voltage to 1.3 and FSB to 360, then if it's fine go to 381. It's pretty damn easy.

16. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

That power calculator is amazing.. really helped me out. That is some very interesting stuff and from reading that from top to bottom I've learnt something new :D

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

E6300/20: 7.0x200 = 1.86 GHz

That doesn't add up...

I just dug around, it needs to read 7.0 x 266.

Great guide!

18. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much, a nice, well thought out informative read, I'm still daunted by this overclocking experience, haven't had the intention to overclock but will soon give it a go on a spare rig.

A warm hi to everyone too!

19. minhbh

minhbh What's a Dremel?

I wonder if I raise FSB, I set PLL, VTT, NB voltage is auto => the mobo will raise the their voltage or set the standard value?

My mobo is P5Q, CPU Q8400. I set FSB to 460, Vcore 1.25, Vdimm 2.0, the remain is auto. Test Prime 95 large test is OK for 6h, but I set FSB 470 Prime95 only fail only on Core 1 after 5 min, 18 min...time fail is random in 30 min test. How I must tuning? Thanks

20. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

Hm... good guide. I have one of my own on Overclock.net :D but it is simplified and put in more lamin terms.

Tags: