1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP announces 3D printer range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jan 2010.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

A local technical college has a 3D printer, my CAD teacher has used a couple time. He'd love to have one but most high school don't see enough of a need to buy one

2. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

@alpaca: Want one!!!!

3. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Like these? :D

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Imagine the modding potential. You could design and print your own heatsink :)

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

No, but you could print a plastic 3d image of it and have it made into a heatsink

You could prototype an entire custom case without a single cut

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I'm still quite skeptic. I mean we don't print our books, newspapers or carton boxes on regular printers. I mostly use my laser printer to print out maps, recipes and school papers. That is things that get thrown in the bin after use. In a similar fashion I predict that this will be used to flesh out cad-drawings, do garden landscaping plans and create wonky 3d birthday-cards.

^^ You can use metal powder printers to make sintered metal items. A 3D heatsink is plausible, but it would fail in heat transmission to regular heatsinks.

7. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

The only home use for a 3D printer is for idiots like me to print out their knobs, true story

8. dec

dec [blank space]

hmmmmm 3D printer

*howtobuildaferrari.com*
    *howtobuildagirlfriend.com*

9. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Limited in what they can do, or be used for? Yes .. much like other tech when it first came out.

You need to think further down the road ...these ideas could end up as being the poor mans replicator

10. Sethva

Sethva What's a Dremel?

Hey, it's one step closer to the star trek replicator!

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

This would be great for modding or random projects around the house. If only the cost would come down faster. Once there are sub $1000 models from a few different companies that is when it will really explode.

12. dylawesome

dylawesome What's a Dremel?

On heatsinks: you're probably right, though you can infuse powder metallurgy produced objects with other metal of a lower melting point, significantly altering its thermal and mechanical properties. It'd certainly fail on the price/benefit comparison!

As for making rapid prototyping technologies available, the business model that makes the most sense is for having many small, local RP shops that people can go visit. In addition to making neat, novel things, RP is very useful and cost effective for repairing or getting a replacement part for something that is not easily available. Getting a one-off part is extremely expensive with traditional manufacturing approaches -- in fact, the setup costs are sometimes not that different for producing 1 than 100,000.

Basically, once society has access to rapid prototyping, and gets used to it, rapid prototyping will create fantastic new possibilities. It's a lot like the early internet: right now we're stuck with AOL and Prodigy, and a bunch of useless, unsearchable sites, but give it a decade or so and you get facebook, bit-tech, and LOLcats!

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The video that got me hooked on TED:

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've been following the RepRap for a very long time.

There's been experiments on laying down PCBs with it - essentially, printing a solid layer of plastic, then printing the conductive material, and covering/surrounding it then with plastic.

Its possible to make resistors and all sorts by using the appropriate conductive material in the correct quantity.

Very excited!

15. JaSoN...

JaSoN... What's a Dremel?

16. Sethva

Sethva What's a Dremel?

Sweet! I was just thinking about modeling. A 3D printer would also be awesome for making custom soldier figures, give some depth to those ww2 or napo battles. Altho the lvl of detail needs to be quite high... Not sure what the limit is.

Tags: Add Tags