News HP Blackbird 002 - Voodoo Powered

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

much better than what Dell has ever came up with.

3. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

That does look very very nice... It makes my P180 look, well, not quite ugly (I love the thing!) but not so sleek and pretty!

4. Mankz

Mankz 5318008

I'd happily pay £250 for that case.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo Bargaining chip

Only available in the US, huh? Is anyone else thinking import? :D

6. Salazaar

Salazaar New Member

I'd be a very happy puppy if I could get that case on its own.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

*droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*

ps: for the love of Gandalf, please check out the website lol...... again.... *drool*

8. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

any chance of getting that case along?

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Not TOO special a case. Just looks like a Cosmos that's been ribbed for geek's pleasure.

10. Mankz

Mankz 5318008

Also, on the link on the main page, there is no space between the now and the the so it reads 'nowthe'

11. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

meh, I don't see the point.

all these super-powerful workstations built by dell, HP, etc come at a massive price premium and often are not anywhere near as easy to upgrade as a custom-built PC.

the area where I go to uni is right in a major research area (lots of companies with govt and other research contracts) and I've made a reasonably profitable business out of building tailored solutions to projects at 3/4 to half the cost of these commercial solutions.

I provide support as well, so don't wave that in my face as a reason for such a high price tag on these kind of systems.

the other thing that these systems fail to address is that only in a few very select applications is both massive graphics and massive CPU capability required, usually its just one or the other.

12. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

^Evidently people want to buy them, else they wouldn't make them.

Good to see top-spec pre-built PCs starting to look very good though. The current Dell XPS is fantastic, and I really like the look of this one too. How Alienware and their tacky rubbish can compete is beyond me.

13. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the reason they've started to make them look good is because they're trying to appeal to the top-end consumer market.

most research and number crunching these days is done on servers. those applications that do need a lot of power usually want to have the equipment in a rack for easy storage and then group multiple work areas around said rack (at least thats the preferred arrangement over here)

I have only used a full-tower case for 3 jobs, and those were for small companies. all the other jobs were rack-based.

currently I'm working on a system that is going to be used to process and render ultra-high resolution models of undersea vent activity, and then display them on a wall of 12 30" displays. HP quoted them about twice the price for its proprietary system as I did for one made using readily available components. (the only not-so readily available parts being an Nvidia Tesla unit and a Quadro-Plex)

the great part is that Nvidia itself provides support for anything relating to the tesla and quadro-plex, and the company is writing the crunching software themselves in-house on CUDA. that means that I only have to build and set up the controlling server, and support that; while HP would have had to build, set-up, and code the whole thing.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I really like the foot thingy, but overall dont really like the design of the case, and cant see the case becoming available because they'd never sell a complete system then and surely thats where all the money is ??

15. lamboman

lamboman New Member

Thought I would just say this guys, although the case looks quite nice from this side view, it doesn't actually look that good overall and on the front. It has a sort of Dell about it.

16. completemadness

completemadness New Member

10 second disc swap ?

how is that measured ? take the side off, unplug disc, take disc out, put in new disc, plug in new disc, side back on (i doubt it)

If its just disc out, disc in - my Lian Li v2000+ takes about 4 seconds, if you put the special screws in before hand
    Its a bit of a nothing statistic to me .... plus who cares if it takes "just 10 seconds to swap a HDD" who's in that much of a hurry, as long as it doesn't take 5 Min's

Edit
    P.s. Forum link opens in a new tab ;)

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the case is beautiful..... i think i am going to copy it..... :D

18. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

I looked through the specs and I see no mention of motherboard, except that it has 3 PCI-E slots. I smell a proprieterrible motherboard in that beast. I wouldn't buy it for the world though, I won't ever trust another desktop vendor again.

HP makes some b!tchin' lappies though.

19. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

20. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Goes to show how well I read things. HP's site didn't mention that as far as I could tell though.

Tags: Add Tags