1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HP Blackbird 002

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 28 Sep 2008.

1. MrBean

MrBean Member

Hello Guys,
    A few progress pics of the new Reservoir, and fitting the dual-pumps. Pretty boring, really, but, may come in handy for someone out there.

One thing I must say, this is a real neat single 5.25" bay solution with dual-pumps. Nice, compact, powerful.

First pic is showing the cover you need to remove if you have dual pumps, behind which is located a plug which needs to come out.....this cover must go back afterwards, with it's o-ring.....

[​IMG]

Said plug, which needs removal, so the two 'reservoirs' can be joined as a single bigger reservoir.

[​IMG]

Plug removed, told you it was boring.....hehe

[​IMG]

Custom plug fitted to the inside of the left-hand reservoir, as you view it here - this is part of the conversion if you need to run the dual DDC's in series...

[​IMG]

Another part of the dual-series mod, a nice bit of tubing that is optional, but cleans things up nicely -this 180deg pipe comes with above plug....

[​IMG]

Another angle, and showing two areas where pumps will be located....

[​IMG]

Now, some mods had to be done to the pumps, that will allow you to fit them to the receiver-bays.....

there are two victims, the first one.....

[​IMG]

then, chopping here and there.....

[​IMG]

and the final result, ready to be mounted to the reservoir....

[​IMG]

Two shots showing the reservoir with pumps mounted after above chopping/snip-snip action - real compact....

[​IMG]

and a last one....don't mind the cables, they will be sleeved - goodies on it's way from MDPC-X shop :) I will also clean up the pump housings, where I used a Stanley carpenter's knife to remove the original mounting lugs....be careful with your fingers here, I know we're chopping, but NOT your fingers, please!

[​IMG]

j0rd likes this.
  2. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

cool. it looks nice. And of course you don't need to but that in the 3.25" bay right?

Don't feel bad about the G5. Same happened here, but I did the G5 and let another one die. :(

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is such a nice and tidy bay res/pump combo. Gives you much more room to fit more goodies in :D.

4. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

I love this mod, the chassis are rare as rocking horse poop in .au which makes it even more unique. That dual rez is beautiful, the first bay rez i have ever seen and thought "i want that in my rig". Epic work, look forward to seeing this one completed.

5. MrBean

MrBean Member

Thanx Ozzie-fellas for your feedback, appreciated :) Always good to hear from other like-minded lunies from Down Under.....rofl

Ok, some more rantings and ravings - typically that of a lunatic, but anyway.....here goes:

I will do a few small mods to the pumps, i.e desoldering the original wires, and extending with new ones - I will mount the Koolance TMS-200 in the bottom-most PCI slot in my case, and it will take significantly longer runs to route the cables proper, and I don't want to solder/join them somewhere in the middle...

So, this will also allow me to mount a small 10k NTC thermal probe to each of the pump's pcb's, so I can monitor both pump's temps via Software. This will also allow me to run the cables together, and exit through the same grommet on the side of the pump....

So, at this point in time, awaiting the sleeving from Nils at MDPC-X.....should be here by weekend, I hope :)

Will update then.....

6. transparentK

transparentK New Member

hey man did you ever find out how to take the back cover off? does the manual say anything? thanks!

7. MrBean

MrBean Member

Ah, some good news.

My package from Nils at MDPC-X has arrived, thanx for the nice sketch on the envelope, Nils :flowers:

Luv the Molex-crimper too, I have a similar one, but for slightly larger Molex pins, now I can do the job proper. Just popped off to Jaycar, got a nice new wire-stripper too, and 100M of blue (no black, other choice was brown) 17AWG stranded copper-core cable.

So, I will completely rewire my trusty old PC Power&Cooling 1KW TurboCool PSU - less than 1% variation on the rails under full-load, and I just absolutely luv it. It's already 5 years old, but as stable and rock-solid as the day I first got it. With a peak of 1100W, no need to replace it with an inferior old Corsair/Enermax or Thermaltake - most of these have between 2-3% variance on the rails, and yes, the Corsair AX1200 is modular, looks nice, but.....if I compare the inside of it to my PC P&C, wow, wonder how those tiny heatsinks keep it cool......

:(

So, PC P&C will be retained, and, admittedly, possibly the best PSU out there - at least the old, real PC P&C's......

So, I will instead rip all the cables out of my unit, and rewire - at least now, I can route all the cables exactly where/how I want to, and can really clean up my system. Nice, I will provide pics on the weekend. First things first, will be the water-loop, revamped (for the final time), fitment of new Koolance RP-401X2, pumps et al.

Kee you Guyz posted.

8. MrBean

MrBean Member

A small update: cleaned up the rough edges on the pump-housings, where I removed the original mounting lugs.

Also used the opportunity to fit the temperature sensors, as well as creating a few ventilation holes on the rear. Will consider mounting 2x 80mm fans on top of the housings, and control them via the TMS-200 too, but probably not necessary anyway.

A few pictures tomorrow I will sleeve the cables, and fit the reservoir to the case, as well as tidy up the water-loop.

Enjoy - and sorry for the fuzziness of a few of the shots, the Fujifilm 5000 not taking as consistent clear pics as it used to....

Fitting the modified pump-housings...

[​IMG]

Nekkid pump action...

[​IMG]

Temperature sensor fitted, and secured by double-sided thermal tape .....both punps have the sensors in exactly the same location....

[​IMG]

Fnished product, bear in mind the sleeving wil happen tomorrow.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

9. MrBean

MrBean Member

I've decided to order 2x Koolance PMP-400 Heatsinks - hopefully they arrive end next week, as I've done some USPS Express shipping from the webshop.

So, I will most likely continue to sleeve cables etc, and prep these for the new heatsinks once they arrive next week. This setup is all about reliability, and, on-top of the redundant pumps, I would like to give them a fair shot at maximum life-expectancy, hence the heatsinks - and the Koolance-kit is by far the best solution currently available.

More to follow.

10. MrBean

MrBean Member

Ok, donwloaded some images from Koolance's website (Tim, I hope this is ok, Mate?) to show what I've ordered - I really like the Koolance pump-kits, as they do away with the old plastic housing/heatsink on-top effort, and expose the pcb rather nicely to the heatsink.

This will lead to more effective cooling -> if memory serves, you can also bolt a 60mm fan directly to the heatsink, as the holes line up 100%. I will confirm this though, but the general idea is that I will have slimline (and quiet) 60mm fans controlled from the TMS-200.

This control will be automatic, as I will retain the temperature-sensors that I've mounted to the pcb's.

Should make for a nice, quiet and reliable pump-solution.

Please take note that this approach will not work for those of you that have a single 5.25" bay restriction - yes, the BB case have only one, but, there is space both sides of this vertical bay - I will take pics once this is installed to how what I mean.

For now, a few pics:

What you'll receive in the kit

[​IMG]

showing the exposed pcb, and the area where the heatsink will bolt to - yes, there will be some rather thick TIM in between...

[​IMG]

and then 2 shots of the fully assembled unit - again default pics downloaded from Koolance's website - not direct linked, I'm hosting via photobucket......

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

ps: I will need to perform minor surgery to the intermediate bracket before I am able to fit this to the RP-401X2 reservoir, but I'll make it work :) This is going to look pretty good, I would reckon :)

Feedback welcome.

ps: I know this is probably overkill, but the main aim for this (simulator) is stability and reliability - I can see me using this for the next 5 years - yes, I am serious.....

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I love those Koolance heatsinks for the pumps. Not only does it make a huge difference in pump temps but it looks cool as well :D. I will probably be using one on my DDC because it is in a confined spot.

12. MrBean

MrBean Member

:) Yeah, the same reason I decided to fit these to my pumps, as they will be located in an area devoid of decent air-circulation.....

At least now I can also fit slimline 60mm fans, so they will stay cool, even under max flow-rates....

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Tim did say it wouldn't be single-slot after you fit those sinks, but if you've got no airflow, I could see why you did it.

Mine's sitting here waiting on me to finish my sleeving and case cutting and get it all installed. However, that's all dependent on my health, which quite frankly blows. Progress-at a snail's pace, of course.

14. MrBean

MrBean Member

Yeah, I realise it wouldn't be single slot any longer - but, I have some spare space both sides of my vertical 5.25" slot, so no worries there. Will post pics once they arrive.

Good luck that side too, and hope your health pics up! Bloody crap when the mind is strong, and the body is playing up :flowers:

15. MrBean

MrBean Member

Hello Guys,
    Slightly annoyed with postal services, as my PMP-400 heatsinks have not been delivered, so a second weekend I cannot finnish my watercooling. Oh well, as they say in Finnish, paska säkä.

But, a small update none the less: Decided to redo the fittings/tubing passing through the mid-plate, onto the gfx card. As things were, I could not remove the SAS Raid Controller, as a part of the fittings were in the way - SAs card is mounted directly below the gfx card:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Decided on a different approach, by fitting an additional spacer to the pass-through adapters, and then using some BP fittings on the gfx card, rmoving the BP temp sensor, and have both inlet- and outlet connectors on the top side of the gfx waterblock....

Busy here with the first one

[​IMG]

and a few more....

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Oh well, came pretty decent, bit more work to do on the tubing-lengths, and decided to do the old water-run.

Damn BP fittings, both the 90-deg rotating fittings leaked (albeit very, very slowly) right on the o-ring where it is swivelling - jeesh, I was annoyed. Very poor quality control BP-boyz.....

So, had some BP silver-shining 90-deg (non-rotaries), and decided to go with them - ok, they're not black, but they will not be visible here anyway, and they will do just fine.....- please note the drain-line, connected to a 90-deg rotary fitting, if I need to drain the loop, I simply rotate the tubing out and let it drain into a small beaker or something.....will make a holding-mechanism for the tubing, but not to shabby :)

[​IMG]

and (please ignore the PSU cabling, will be tidying it up)

[​IMG]

and a final one for now

[​IMG]

Well, currently testing the loop again, and much better, 3 hours +, and no more leaks. Much better. At least now, I can remove the SA-Controller if I want to, tubing is a lot cleaner, more practical, and not I can focus on the pumps and associated tubing when these damn PMP-400 heatsinks show up.

Definitely this week, but frustrating, I tell ya.

Feedback appreciated.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
    Evenge likes this.
  16. MrBean

MrBean Member

For those wondering where I am going with the water temp sensor, I have ordered 2x Aquacomputer in-line temp sensors from The Kool Room, one for res-out and one for res-return lines.

Should have them mid-week too, so all in time to fit the new pumps and Koolance res :)

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
  17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

I nearly picked up that SAS card, but I got the Intel SRCSAS18E instead. I see you have two of the three BBUs it can have, gonna get the third?

It's looking great, can't wait to see it finished. I'm gonna have to post one more log it seems, just to show off my res too.

18. Evenge

Evenge Member

Nice work! Now if only I could afford watercooling... :idea:

19. MrBean

MrBean Member

@ KayinBlack: Yeah, a pretty decent card, the P800 -> I guess I could add another battery, but then again, I have a 3KVA APC UPS too.....and this system is being fed of that....But, will keep my eyes open for a 3rd one, would fill up the empty battery slot nicely :)

Sharp eyes!

@ Evenge: Kiitos hyvin paljon. Where in Finland are you? I remember (on my annual travels to Tampere) that Miska Saarvaanto (www.coolputer.fi) had a nice shop in a basement in downtown Tampere, but it may now belong to someone else - they always had a nice selection, and pricing wasn't to bad:

-> http://www.jimms.fi/coolputer

Hope you find something affordable!

20. MrBean

MrBean Member

Hello Guyz,
    Need a bit of help on this one - I am rewiring my PC Power&Cooling 1KW computer psu, but do not want to use el-cheapo PVC wire.....

Instead, I want something highly flexible, soft, and good quality, like Turniqy 18AWG pure-silicone cable -or, even better, 16AWG would do.

I am looking for something like 50-100M of it, and not willing to pay the exorbitant pricing the Hobbyshops are asking.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Much obliged, thanx guys

Tags: