1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks HP ProBook/EliteBook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 22 Nov 2016.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

For reasons I won't go into, I'm looking at replacing my current Windows laptop. I have provisionally sold my old one to a friend and I'm now looking at its replacement.

I do have my MacBook Pro, and yes I can run boot camp it, but having tried it I prefer having OSX on a dedicated machine and then a Windows based laptop - makes my life easier.

Looking at getting something business grade and spoke to the guys from IT the other week and they can't fault the above machines highly enough. Yes I am looking buying used and eBay has no shortage of them. I wasn't expecting to be able to pick up a Core i5 based laptop for under £150 !

The IT guys say these have been dropped, prodded, poked, pushed & bounced up and down like sausages in a pan and they still work perfectly. I was told the only time one didn't work was when it got dropped 40 foot down a lift shaft.

Also looking at these as they are a really decent size and I do a fair bit of traveling about between home in Weston and Redruth in Cornwall so a 12 - 13 inch laptop is much lighter and saves me much needed room in my bag :)

Also they look so easy to upgrade unlike my current Lenovo consumer grade laptop, putting an SSD and 8 gig of RAM in that thing was a nightmare.

2. nimbu

nimbu Modder

I be been using dell's for the last 9 years, and I must say the latitudes can take a hell of a beating.

7240 has now passed the 3 year cycle, so expect there to be some refurbished stock of them on the bay. For that you get nice upgrades like msata and a much more balanced battery.

Watch out for screens in general though, lots of ex Corp run 1366 x 768 rather than 1080, and you you really want to avoid glossy!

Finally word of warning if you intend on replacing the battery stick with original stock, I've never had a good experience with oem replacement batteries.

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Hmm hadn't thought of looking at Dell, good call there mate thanks :)

1366 x 768 isn't a deal breaker for me, but I have seen some out thee with 1600 x 900 screens and non glossy for the same money. The only thing I keep finding is "Bios Password" or "Encrypted Bios"

4. nimbu

nimbu Modder

Yeah avoid those like the plague, they are not easy to recover and cost a lot to fix.