1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HSF Nightmare

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Supergoal, 16 Nov 2006.

1. Supergoal

Supergoal What's a Dremel?

I just had the most horrible of experiences.

I just applied AS5 to the heatsink after the thermal pads weren't doing the business. After several wobbly applied bits of paste and several times cleaning and doing it again, I put the heatsink back onto the motherboard and sat the case upright. Moments later the friggin HSF falls off at an angle almost ripping the motherboard to pieces and bringing me to tears!

At this point I was utterly devastated, but I continued on, giving the CPU another line of AS5 and gentle lowering the HSF into place again. Clicking the feet of the HSF as hard and as well as I could the four clips that hold it to the board and prayed...

I went to swicth the fecker on.....Only to find that nothing happened! :duh:

But it was fine, I forgot to re-plug the power cable to the board....

I tried once again, hitting the power button ....It worked!!!! :D

Though I must have done a crap job, as my C2D E6600 now idles at 30/32C according to Core Temp program.. Only 7 or so degrees lower than before.

However I now have experienced the perils of when things go wrong! :)

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

lol what have you got cooling that thing? the stock cooler?

3. Supergoal

Yeah, with some newly (but not well done) spread Arctic Silver 5.

4. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

30 to 32 sounds about right. You won't get lower than ambient, and even on watercooling, you're looking at that sort of temperature idle.

Glad you got it set up at last ;)

5. Supergoal

Thanks there.

Apparantly on the AS5 website it says it takes time to be at optimal cooling anyway.

As long as the full load temps don't rocket past 70C like they did before I'm guessing that's just fine.

God knows how I haven't broken anything yet!

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Hmmm.... I've got a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on my E6600 (using AS5). The BIOS reports temps of around 37/38 within a minute of switching on but it seems to remain stable. Only just got an OS on, so I can't comment on temp under load.

[Note: I'm using the P5B's Q-Fan control to minimise noise, so I'm sure it that adds a few degrees on]

7. Supergoal

I noticed too that the BIOS reports almost 10C higher than any program does!

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Ya the only good way is a thermocuple and a Thermometer from a good company like fluke.

9. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

No but you can get dern close.. :)

My XP-M 2500 rig idles about 2-3 degrees above ambiant with a passive heatsink.*

Ducted to inlet on side of case, only a single 120mm fan exhausting hot air out.. :)

10. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

why dont you get that vapo chill thing =P so powerful it requires a power supply of its own and can get your cpu temp into the minus degrees celcius ;)

11. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

I misread the first time, I read "ripped the motherboard to bits". Then wondered how it was still working :blush:

12. Supergoal

lol..

I can tell you it was darn close! I actually saw it happening in slow motion, my hand tried to move to grab it before I just couldn't get there in time.

I can laugh now but at the time I was a broken man.