1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT Omega Claro soundcard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

It's still PCI, when is this standard gonna die?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not for a long time yet.

4. BlueDemon

BlueDemon What's a Dremel?

The article could do with some proof-reading and editing. It's not up to the usual b-t standards...

5. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I agree. Pci is far too ugly and bulky. It will be embarrassing to look back at them from the future. 5 white slots all the **** around my graphics cards in a different illogical positions for every different board that's made. It be cool if everything was just SATA interface and you could stuff it racks.

Same embarassing thing about PCI-e and the peices of metal lard that occupy them.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Sorry, I must apologise; that's my fault. A combination of a bad night's sleep and a splitting headache meant that I obviously wasn't as alert as I should have been this morning when I read it though. :)

I have been through the article again and I should have made the necessary changes. If there's anything else you spot, please PM/email me.

Thanks.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

what's about vista drivers?

creative is certainly lacking in that area and it would be a good chance for the competitor's to sell their soundcard's if they would deliver working vista drivers form day one on.....

other than that.... i'm more than happy creative is finally getting some competition.... hopefully the x-fi lineup gets its prices pushed down....

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Well even it's too expensive and doesn't have anything new, it's still a Non-X-Fi-Fatality-WTF-EAX-sound card. It would be cool to see some real results (you know, measurements'n'stuff) with some cards from M.audio (or other music makers' cards manufacturer), this and Creative. I'm extremely sceptical about real differencies in sound cards. Yeah the cheapest integrated solutions sound like crap and have all kinds of unwanted noises, but lets say price range from 50 to 150 bucks or so. What are you paying for?

I think if you want to really leap in the quality/features, you must go for external cards.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Vista drivers are on the HT Omega site, but it's only 32bit currently.

The difference between onboard and discrete sound card is incredible if you actually sit and listen. $50-$150 buys quality. It's not as blatantly obvious as looking at something, that's true, that's why I've tried to describe my experiences rather than just throw numbers at people.

For $100 I'd definitely buy a Sodingo Inferno, and I'd possibly buy the Claro if I was after the extra features. I don't spend most of my time gaming, the X-Fi isn't all that special to me, but if you are a gamer then there's no competition. But you need to balance it off with a decent set of headphones and/or surround speakers.

What external cards provide a leap in quality? I need links! :D

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

and I need linux drivers :miffed:

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see comparisons on CPU usage... since a sound card is supposed to remove the duty of sound processing off the CPU..

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.cmedia.com/forums/

http://www.alsa-project.org/

Links from Cmedia website.

As for CPU numbers, check the Sodingo review because the hardware is identical. Real world performance costs are so infinitesimally minute that you'd never notice, and for the improvements in audio quality it's neither here nor there. There are only canned benchmarks we can run to give you an exact figure, or we could run a game but then you're always always better off with an X-Fi when gaming anyway.

13. DarkLord7854

Ahh.. But see, I can't afford an X-Fi :p

I have a 30$ SoundBlaster Live! :hehe:

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Eh, what were you talking about, "solid state capacitors"?

I always thought solid state referred to silicon or germanium transistors (as opposed to vacuum tubes) and had nothing to do with capacitors.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And an EVGA 680i motherboard, 7900GS and OCZ memory :p

Altron: There are electrolytic capacitors which contain a moist layering of electrolytes to hold a charge. The solid state variety (as in, not wet) doesn't dry out so they last long, and they also provide a more even and faster power delivery, but they also cost more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

I cant find info on the Solid State variety, but that's the term being peddled around the industry. It might be different in others, I can only go on what I've been told.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Bindibadqi: TBH I didn't think anyone catches that one ;)The point there is that in terms of EMI/all sorts of RF/electrical noise a computer case is maybe the worst place in the house. And the features, with the features I ment XLR/midi-in and outs, sturdy 6,3 mm connectors and such. Not any fancypancy effects.

Maybe a leap is a slight over-expression, but there's atleast some sort of difference.

17. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

This card sounds very tempting but i'll be sticking with my Audigy until I see a decent card with HDMI either alongside or replacing s/pdif.

I want to send my future AVR some yummy dolby truehd and dts hd master from hddvd/blu-ray! ;)

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

so this or the Sodingo Inferno would be well suited to a HTPC. And i agree bring out some damm pci-e sound cards

19. DarkLord7854

The GS was 100$, the RAM was free. The mobo was 80$ off because I got 4 bad mobos from Newegg in a row (they had all been about 80 to 120$).
    Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford my current components :p

It'd be nice to have a use for those pci-e x1 slots

20. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm interested in something like this. My problem (if you can call it that) is that I have a pair of HD650s cans currently unable to be driven properly by my build-in AC97.

Would this card act as an amp? And would it eliminate (or reduce) interference noise?

Looking forward to your replies!

Tags: Add Tags