1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT Omega Claro soundcard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Mar 2007.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

'Solid aluminium' is the term in the electronics catalogues (and, no doubt, 'solid aluminum' in electronics catalogs).

They feature an "organic semi-conductive electrolyte" (some polymer that is liquid during the earlier manufacturing stages but is converted to a solid later on) so that may have given rise to the 'solid state' term. "Ideal for high-frequency power supplies", so maybe some snake oil involved in audio applications.

http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/electronic_components/capacitors/os_con/overview.cfm?showFileID=13

Last edited: 10 Mar 2007
  2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

I've always wanted to be able to hook up 2x 2.1 sets on a card... Think it'd work?

3. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

Not having the actual card in my possession, but having some experience amping high impedance cans like the HD650s, I would really doubt it. Those babies take some serious juice to purr. Most <$150 dedicated amps like the CMoy and PA2V2 can't drive them, so I think it's highly unlikely that a <$150 sound card could. I think that most people buying a card like this don't really want a beefy headphone stage, so it would be silly to cut costs in some areas (i.e. SPDIF) yet spend on a very heavy duty headamp.

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

I just did it with a cheap 15$ card :hehe:

5. adidas

adidas New Member

Tx heaps Altron. Much appreciated! :rock:

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh absolutely. Extra connectors would be great and I've expressed this to HT Omega who've taken it on board and if you want something professional or pro-sumer then a separate is far better again. But then you're looking at far better speakers than £50 headphones or £60 5.1's.

There's a dozen ways to do things and everyone enjoys their own variety of getting the best audio, I don't doubt that, and I've specifically avoided the pro-sumer discussion, because quite frankly, I just don't have the experience with it.

7. qupada

qupada New Member

Anyone who has owned an iriver h1*0 series portable audio player will know what the solution is to the limited space s/pdif i/o problem; dual purpose jacks.

The review didn't mention if you could use both the optical and coaxial connectors simultaneously, but under the (probably fair) assumption that you can't, shared jacks would solve the problem. It does necessitate the use of different optical cables (cf the cables used by Sony's minidisc players) but the coaxial output can be served from the same socket with a simple 3.5mm mono jack to rca adapter cable.

On the other hand, if the intention is to use both sets of digital outputs separately, the best solution I have seen was found on a c-media 8738 pci board; extra pci backplate, ribbon cable.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What's the point? HDMI-connections belong to the graphic cards eh? Atleast in my MSI 7600GT there's a HDMI-out. Then there's this cable that you have to connect to the digital output of the sound card.

9. Gundam God

Gundam God New Member

Need HDMI or some new type of cable since s/pdif doesn't have the necessary bandwidth and i'd rather have a digital connection instead of analogue.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Necessary bandwith for what purpose? :confused:

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

An excellent point on dual purpose jacks! They would be good, but they'd have to include an adapter for it. I fail to see a need for the use of multiple outputs on a PC soundcard. The only thing I can assume comes close is that if you're using it for a HTPC, and even then you're looking at a serious setup.

12. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

Audio, I'm guessing. :)

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

What is the selected reference signal for these figures? (e.g. 1.228V 1kHz sinewave?) It's like saying my keyboard is on a table 4m high without saying where I'm measuring from.

It would be useful to know this so it can be compared to other cards.

Tags: Add Tags