1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable HTC desire HD -- Custom ROM recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitaldunc, 5 Nov 2011.

1. digitaldunc

digitaldunc New Member

I'm thinking of flashing my HTC desire HD with a custom ROM mainly to attempt to improve the abysmal battery life.

From the posts I've read around here CM7 seems to be the ROM to get and from what I understand it allows for setting lower clock speeds, though I'm unsure as to what degree these will affect performance.

I'd be interested to hear your recommendations and experiences.

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Well-Known Member

I'm on the nightly CM7 ROMs and I've got no complaints. It does everything I want with ease.

The Android Revolution ROM looks nice and I would like to try it one day, I just can't be bothered to leave CM7.

3. Edwards

Edwards Active Member

Was using Android Revolution for around a year, then i was having install issues and neeeded a fresh wipe of my phone and figured I'd check out a different ROM. Currently using Leedroid, which seems pretty stable, though not that quick.

Joe, do you have issues with nightlys being unstable? And are you able to reflash these every few nights without compromising the programs you already have installed? It's beena couple of weeks since i flashed leedroid and i'm beginning to get that re-flash itch :p

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Active Member

I was on cm7 on my defy for a while. It's really good but the battery life was terrible. Have recently moved over to miui and am really pleased. Not as configuration rich as cm7 but really clean interface and amazingly reliable and responsive. Under volting the CPU for the lower speed sleep settings helps battery loads.

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Well-Known Member

Some of the nightlies are broken with things like the phone not ringing or the keyboard not working but they do warn you that they're likely to be broken.

I used to update every couple of days but now I probably wait a week or so since there's hardly any change in a daily update.

Never had a problem with programs when flashing though.

I've heard good things about Leedroid aswell, might give that a shot one day.

Too many choices!

As for battery life, my phone is either being used heavily at work in which case it lasts a day or not heavily at home where it will last 2 or 3. Can't really complain I guess.

6. Edwards

Edwards Active Member

Talking about this got me looking on XDA again, and I noted that I'd missed out on the last couple of ARHD updates, am currently flashing it now. I like the idea of using the very very latest updates on CM7, but I really like the Sense interface/widgets, plus bugs like phone/keyboard potentially not working sound like far too heavy impacts on the phone for me to tolerate.

7. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Active Member

Im using ARHD 6.14 and it is certainly the most smooth and stable of Mike's 6.xx series so far. I also use it with the RevolutionHD theme mod and a transparent status bar mot. I also use the Ultra Smooth Rosie scroling mod as I dont particularly like or need the 3D effects (and it does make a noticeable difference to scrolling).

I like CM7 and still switch back to the nightlies now and then but Sense it still nice to look at and logically laid out so I nearly always switch back. Not convinced by the 3.5 based Roms Ive tried so stick with the 'official' 3.0 on ARHD for now.

8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc New Member

FWIW I decided to go with Android revolution -- liking it so far.

Seems relatively clean with the minimal amount of junk and I think the battery life has improved marginally -- I seem to be able to go roughly 2 days between charges.