1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC, HP partner on Envy Vive gaming PC bundle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

LOLWUT? The Vive breakout box connects to a host PC either though a single HDMI, or a single DisplayPort connector. You don't use two at the same time!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Allow me to quote HTC:
    My emphasis.

Now, the Vive may only require one HDMI port - but you can't run the PC with only a Vive. You're going to need a monitor, and for whatever reason HTC is telling people to buy an HDMI monitor. With only one HDMI port, you can't use an HDMI monitor and the HDMI Vive at the same time - hence the requirement of having a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adaptor.

I'm guessing (though I don't have a Vive or a DisplayPort monitor, so I can't confirm this) that you could use the Vive via HDMI and a DisplayPort-compatible monitor via DisplayPort and thus do away with the need for the adaptor, but that's not what HTC is telling people to do.

Find that amusing? Go tell it to HTC, 'cos it's their page that I'm quoting 'ere.

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

You're both right :p Not sure why HTC is saying 'required but not included' but there you go. Article amended to reflect the true state of affairs :)

5. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

The term spinning rust makes me cringe.