1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC to lay off 1,500 workers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Jul 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, you don't cover those: I'd have to rejig my living room so the PS Camera could track me, so I don't have space for PSVR either; I've worn a PSVR headset, and it's still uncomfortable if you wear glasses; and you're again disingenously suggesting I was talking about simulation sickness, when I'm not.

Again for the cheap seats: I get motion sick, also known as travel sick. That's nothing to do with VR or simulators; I get sick on long car journeys, train journeys, plane journeys (but, oddly, I'm fine with boats - go figure) - it's just the way my inner ear is wired. The 'fix' for getting queasy while playing VR is, for me, nothing to do with a careful choice of games, it's taking a heroic dose of cinnarizine citrate two hours before I strap the thing on my noggin'.

Or, y'know, not. Because, as I keep saying, VR Is Not For Me Thank You Muchly.

(Also: it's 30 degrees in here at the moment. Like heck am I going to strap a bunch of electronics to my face and prance around the room like a lemon. I'mma go run an ice bath, get in it, and play on my Switch.)

MLyons and RedFlames like this.
  2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

While sim sickness and motion sickness are similar in that they stem from a mismatch between the visual and vestibular systems' perception of motion, they're not the same thing (and treatment for one will not be effective for the other beyond placebo). Motion sickness is the coupling of vestibular stimulation with lack of visual stimulation, while sim sickness is visual field stimulation of motion (optical flow) without vestibular stimulation. Suppressing the vestibular response (as with motion sickness medication) is going to be at best ineffective (beyond placebo) and at worse counterproductive against sim sickness. It's a harder problem, as the brain takes inputs from the visual system as a priority over all other sensory information, why the Rubber Hand Illusion works, or why providing the visual of an intact limb can treat phantom limb pain.
    Stuff they breaks orthostereo like horizon-tilting, tracking mismatch, incorrect lens de-warp factors, incorrect IPD, are going to cause nausea regardless of medication as we don't have any treatment that can target just the portions of the visual system that estimate motion and not also the rest of the visual system, and even if we could it would likely result in a similar loss of balance and navigation that blindfolding a person does.
    You can't miss out on motion parallax unless you head is welded in place relative to the ground (or you've only used Cardboard that fails to track head movements, which falls under "not real VR" in the same way '360 video' does).
    I gave "1-2 years" because 1 year ago, Iribe gave a timeframe of "not for at least 2 years". If someone not the head of Oculus' PC division gives an earlier estimate, that's on them.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Tell you what, you buy a VR rig and invite me around for a curry and a play session. We'll see what happens to the carpet, how about that?

MLyons and David like this.
Tags: Add Tags