1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable HTC Touch Dual Video Encoding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjhujh, 19 May 2008.

1. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Hi,

I recently upgraded my contract and got a HTC Touch Dual. So far I'm pretty happy with, but i was wondering what programs people were using to convert video files, Xvid and Divx for playback on it.

I used DivX Converter to convert a video and played it back on the HTC but the Div X Player is a bit buggy. Can you get codecs for the Media player on WM6Pro?

Also was wondering if people knew of a good resource for all things WM6 on the web I could use to get more out of my phone?

Thanks

2. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Videowise, Coreplayer is pretty much essential software for any of the current gen HTC phones, as only this software can use the onboard ATI Imageon GPU* for video playback.

Converting video, i usually just use a copy of Virtualdub, but somebody else may have easier to use software :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401 would be a good place to start :)

*HTC were too cheap/lazy to pay for/write video drivers so they just used the default software renderer... Think windows safemode graphics performance and you're 99% there:duh:

Last edited: 19 May 2008
  3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Cool, that looks like what i was looking for, thanks... Not to expensive either.

Excuse my ignorace but will it play DivX/Xvid files that I drag and drop on to my device with out needing to be re-encoded?

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm... mostly... depends on the bitrate/resolution of the video. some of my anime series will play on my HTC Kaiser without re-encoding, higher-bitrate ones won't. Remember it's not a desktop-class CPU in it, so don't expect miracles :lol:

i usually recode video to the native resolution of the screen or at most 2x the res anyway out of habit now (320x240 or 640x480)

5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Cool, Well it shouldn't take too long i would thought to re-encode them, finally that quad core might give me something other than bragging rights....

6. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

I have a oldish I-mate jamin or HTC Prophet pm300 as its known ans it's my first "smart" phone. Its comes with Windows Mobile 5, which I upgraded to Windows mobile 6. Windows Media Player (the latest one) has a "sync" button which allows you to drag and drop videos into a play list and then sync it to the phone. It appears to reencode the videos pretty quick - a 30 second clip took about 15 seconds. I suppose this means I 90 minute film would take 45 minutes though!

7. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

whoa, good thing you posted this message, I had completely forgotten about core player for my phone... Ben messing around with the mobile DivX Player...

8. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Try TCPMP I use it regually on my glofiish X800. Encode in 320x240 and try to keep the bit rate below 500.

9. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

What do you guys use to encode your videos? I don't have an encoder, I used the DivX convertor just to try it out but the trial has run out on that one...

Tags: