1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor HTPC Case for mini-itx board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonDixon, 21 Mar 2005.

1. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Okay, Ive got the htpc bug. Have been using my SN45G for it at the moment but the fan on the 6800GT is quite loud.

Plus I want to separate my games playing machine from a true 'entertainment centre' which is going to sit under a nice plasma screen in the living room.

So I am looking at using a M10000 epia board with the zalman north bridge cooler fitted to remove the fan.

I am also getting a PCI FX5200 card for TV out, as the tv-out on-board is incompatible with MCE2005.

I therefore need to use a dual riser card so I can plug my PVR card in.

Requirements:

I would prefer to use a 3.5" hdd and 5.25" dvd drive (as I have them spare).

But dont really want to use a 2.5" drive as Ive heard these are noisier than 3.5" drives.

Can anyone recommend any cases which meet all these requirements?

Ive looked at the SilverStone Lascala-06 but this has internal PSU and I'd like to try and stay fanless (or at least 1 single case fan on fan controller).

Ive also looked at the Travla C137 but it uses a 2.5" drive.

I am struggling to find other suitable cases. It does need to blend into a living room with other AV gear so no cubes.

Any help appreciated.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Try looking at these online stores.

Mini-ITX.com
    LinITX.com

Both deal exclusively with the ITX platform and carry a large range of cases.
    I'm sure you'll be able to find one you like. (Whether you can afford it is another matter :hehe: )

3. JonDixon

Think Im going to go with the Silverstone LC06 as it meets my requirements (except budget)

Its 3.5" HDD and normal sized dvd drive space and external power keeping the heat down.

Now if only I can find a non fan method of cooling the epia board.

4. planki

planki ...

I have got the same mini itx board as you and i use this case for mine.

It also has a psu with it and two 40mm exhaust fans on the back plus all the risers, adapters brackets etc that you need which i thought was nice. It came with a pci riser and a cdrom adapter!!! The only annoyying thing is the 40mm fans are rubbish quality so need changing as they whine alot other than that its a great case.

Dammit i didnt know the onboard tv out wasnt supported by mce2005 as i was going to try that out on mine :wallbash:

5. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

If you can live with a slim optical and don't mind modding a bit to fit a mini-ITX power board, the LC02 is a decent alternative. Just make sure you get an extra PCI vertical extender, as it only includes 1. The LC11 is a brand new case that can fit uATX and smaller boards, as well as 5.25" optical and 2 or 3 3.5" HDDs. Same story with the PSU on that one.

6. JonDixon

Thanks the Cubid case says its not suitable for Epia M's so guess its out the window.

The LC02 looks okay but how quiet is the fan on the psu? I was hoping to use an external brick psu to keep the number of fans down.

7. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

8. JonDixon

Thanks for the link

Nice but the hi-fi stack look is not a look Im after plus I dont have room in my current AV rack. I reckon those kits will cost too, as I'll need a pc box, hdd box and a dvd box.

9. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

the PSU fan is tolerable, but the way it's positioned in the middle of the side makes the ventilation awkward, i.e. half of the hot air goes out the back, the other half goes right back in the case, unless you install another 60mm fan in the side, but that adds more noise. That's why i suggested using an external brick and an internal ITX power board.

10. JonDixon

I like the LC11 (not in black what is it with the wood trim?)

Besides converting to use an external psu, what else would be involved?

Tags: