1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: Project1970 (completed 20. Feb)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bard, 1 Jan 2005.

1. zerocom

zerocom What's a Dremel?

some serious modding going on, an interesting approach, hope all turns out well :)

2. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster What's a Dremel?

The mods with wood always seem so interesting to me. Looking good. :thumb:

3. inanimous

inanimous What's a Dremel?

good job no doubt... rock on. :p

4. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

haha.. funne shape :p
    like Acid Burn said: you building a boat? :D

nah.. going to look cool.. but I bet it will float :)

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Thanks, people. Here's a new sketchup of the design. Those are the legs I want for it, but I have no idea where I can get them from, nor do I know where to get metal rods to make them myself... Suggestions are welcome.

[​IMG]

6. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

look for a store that sells axil steel

oh wait.. you'r in Trondheim :D
    check out clas ohlson on "solsiden". They sell axil steel (aksel-stål). Not sure if it will be long enough for you though. They also sell those steel pipes for vacuum cleaners, but they are pretty thick and might look lumpier than you would want.

(bwaha.. I must have like the whole clas ohlson catalogue in my head)

Last edited: 18 Jan 2005
  7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Very nice project Bard.
    One thing I noticed, how much clearance will you have for cabling at the back, it seems like it won't be able to sit flush against the wall, that is unless you are modding your wall too. :D

On the LCD, you plan on mounting it to your wall, are you going to hide the cables in the wall?

8. bard

Thanks Zap. The clearance for the cables is a small problem.. If I had designed it again, the mobo tray would be built an inch or two into the table itself, but it's a bit late now... However, the plexi on top will have an overhang which will enable the table look like it is closer to the wall. I will probably just wall-mount the TFT and have the cables hanging down. Maybe I'll hide them inside or behind something (a steel tube for instance).

The main reason for why the table will not be flush against the wall, is the monitor connector. I use one of those DVI adapters, which makes the total monitor connector stick almost 10cm out of the computer itself... Is it possible to get an angled adapter, so I can reduce this distance?

AutoExec, I'll look at the axel steel at Clas Ohlson. The legs will only be about 40 cm. However, I might do a whole other design for the legs. Not sure yet...

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Just solder directly to the card :p

In theroy you will not get any better quality off the DVI connector using a vga monitor, you are no worse off than using the vga connector. The converter supposedly contains no circuitry, as the computer variant of DVI (cba to look up what the standard is called) contains both analog and digital outpust :thumb:

10. bard

I don't have a VGA connector, unfortunately, so I have to use the DVI adapter...

11. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

You could try to figure out the pinout of the DVI adapter and hack your own cable from a DVI and VGA cable.

The DVI adapter doesn't have any electronics inside, but it may jumper some signal pins together to sell the GPX card that VGA is connected.

12. bard

I'll see what I can do about it, Zap.

Here's what I have just been doing; cutting an opening in the front for the DVD drive. Just using an old CD-ROM as a mock-up rigth now. Please ignore the terrible window mod I did a few years ago... :blush:

The drive rests on a metal bracket, and the sides will be fastened to these plexi pieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Looking lovely. Are you going to stealth the drive with wood....or something else?

(I have assumed it will be stealthed- hope I'm right!)

Last edited: 20 Jan 2005
  14. bard

Yeah, the drive will be stealthed with black plexi (just look at the 3d model a few posts above).

15. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Ahh sorry didn't see the picture- Having ISP issues and until last 30 mins have had very very slow routing....Seems they have finally fixed it now though!

16. bard

Started on the face plate now. The DVD drive will be covered with a piece of plexi which will be painted black on the back to give a glossy finish. Here's the piece cut out and polished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

and how is it going to open?
    with the whole piece on the driveslide?

18. bard

Yes, the whole piece will be mounted to the drive tray and come out when the DVD is ejected.

19. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

i love it when i'm right :D :cooldude:

20. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Just use a DVI Extension cable, and stick the converter on the end. not elegant, but it getsthe converter away from the back panel.