1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HTPC Question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bajastx, 27 Nov 2006.

1. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

I currently own a 400 disc DVD player simply because I like the idea of purchasing a DVD, putting it into the player, and then not having to worry about it getting scratched.

Now my question. If I'm to build a HTPC is it possible to copy the entire contents of a DVD onto a hard drive and then play it from the hdd?

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Yes, it's possible but for more than just a few DVDs, it's going to be time and HD consuming.

Alternatives: Get a monitor which allows you to hook up DVD inputs. OR, get a TV tuner card which has S-video or component inputs. That way, you won't need to convert everything and you can watch your DVDs through your PC although you'd be fiddling around with two remotes.

But yea, a few DVDs onto a HD isn't a big deal, but if you want to store several dozen DVDs, you're going to need to space things out or develop Ghandi-level patience.

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Some dvd players can be controlled by pcs especially the dvd jukeboxes. 400 discs (if you own that many) x 6.5GB (average dvd size) = 2.6TB of disk space, unless you use something like xvid or dvdshrink but that would take ages to do that many dvds.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you xvid them itll be even longer. 2.6TB is 750gig x 4 at least = $$$$$

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

And that's without any redundancy so if one HDD fails, you lose a quarter of your films... :/

6. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

But I soupose you could rerip them, depends what is more vauable to you, your time or your money...

Tags: