1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Huang talks Larrabee, x86 compatibility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. PQuiff

PQuiff New Member

Meh i dont care.

I just want faster computers that dont crash every 10 minutes.

3. Saivert

Saivert New Member

I think Intel wants to move towards single processor systems. I.e one CPU to rule them all. Therefore x86 cores is important because that's what Intel has used in the past and will continue to use. It's THEIR architecture after all.
    If they succeed at getting x86 cores to render graphics at high speeds, AMD and NVIDIA will have to seriously start looking around for something new. This is a bit game of chicken. They both think the other camp has the losing ground and continues to talk down on each other's offering.

PS3 was going to use the Cell processor for graphics rendering, but the engineers didn't pull it off and had to resort to using a discrete graphics chip (from NVIDIA). this proves that there are still some time before you can get away with doing anything on one processor.

Don't underestimate Intel even though you don't believe in Larrabee.

Hope I have cleared the reasons why both NVIDIA and Intel think they are right for their own reasons in this matter.

4. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

the importance of x86 in GPU is all Intel's marketing.

RISC architecture is far better and elegant than x86 (CISC). look at the failed attempt at Intel Atom power consumption vs ARM's power consumption.

many people say ATI's 4870 is a great architecture and gtx280 is a brute force approach. and this is just like ARM/PowerPC vs Intel, Intel gives you better performance whil ARM/PowerPC architecture is more effecient and elegant. (which is why most mainframes are still using PowerPC CPUs, for effeciency)

as long as the driver allows CPU and GPU to work together, there's no need for x86 instruction sets. (the "tools" in Huang's words)
    as long as there's a capible shader compiler, there's no difference between x86 instruction sets and other (ATI/nVIdia) approach

Tags: Add Tags