1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human rights?

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 13 Jan 2005.

1. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Did someone do a seach through the forums for "fulcrum"? :rolleyes:

I did:)blush:) and there's about a half a dozen but couldn't be rat*rsed going through them to find which one you're talking about.

2. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Wow how off-topic a thread can sometimes get :rolleyes:

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

it was being held on topic for a while. then getting put back on and off. I would imagine thats why it never got a lock. perhaps there should be no more off topicness, as I would like to see what happens in the end.

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Pygobombe, whats a sudo?

5. penski

penski BodMod

I think he means psuedo.

*n

6. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

maybe he means "Sussudio, he could be a big Phil Kailar fan.

7. penski

penski BodMod

Phil Collins?

*n

8. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

see, I thought he might, but he has already said
    :confused:

Last edited: 17 Jan 2005
  9. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Under the Canadian privacy act, Phil was forced to change his last name when dealing with the public...
    :thumb:

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

a simple link to google will explain all:
    google for "sudo root" - everything is explained on the first link (for the most part.)

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, issues at work never seem to end. This entire controversy has been but a feign in the relationship I've had with my superiors since the entire floor got re-assigned.

Just for back-histories sake, when I first became a floor representative I was on one managers team (name rendered fictitious due to certain issues), Ron. Now, Ron was a good team leader (again, like a manager); he always listened to my issues, always sought out the answer, and provided positive feedback - even when I got something wrong. He was meant to be a manager.

Now, during the first week of December I was unknowingly placed onto another team, with obviously a new team leader. Her name is Sarah (once again, fake); she is extremely strict with policy, utilizes emotions to judge, and never has a personal opinion. She really is not a very good manager, but she tries.

Everything was going all well and good for the first couple weeks. I got excellent performance on every single call, and nothing really stood out in my mind as being amiss. It all started out with her complaining about "team seating." Alright, the entire centre is setup with one half-cubicle next to the other, like this: |__|__|__| Poor ASCII, but it is about all's I'm going to do for you. So anyway, every team is assigned to a different section. The reason? Well, I'm not quite sure, from what I've been told it "best suits business needs" and "it aids our red-hats (helper people) in assisting representatives."

OK, I can live with that. What’s the problem then? Well, due to the fact that there are never enough seats on the floor, people tend to not sit in their own team sections. As such, neither did I. Now don't get me wrong, I always have moved back into team seating, usually on my first 15 or my lunch, as there is usually a seat available then. Unfortunately though, this is not good enough.

You see, when I used to not sit in team seating while I was on Ron's team, he would phone me up, and politely ask me to come back. I was OK with that. With Sarah, that is just absolutely out of the question. For the first while I always moved back on my first 15, without fail. But, as more and more people on my team moved back, it became impossible to move back on my first break as there were no seats available. For some reason though, Sarah decided I was not making enough of an attempt to move back. Her reason? There was always a seat available. Unfortunately, that one station she kept telling me to sit in is not only reserved for a disabled person, but the monitor situated there does not work right, and gives me a very bad headache.

What did she do? She took me aside into a "huddle room" with another team leader, closed the door, and advised me she was going to issue me a CAP due to the fact that I was being so deviant in not sitting in team seating. Obviously I fought this, and it got dropped down into a "warning" as they put it. A CAP is short for "Constructive Action Plan," 5 CAP's = no job. Now, as I understand it, the only real reason I can be fired is if I either: do not adhere to company policy, thus causing a drop in the business acumen; or I grossly go outside of the law's/policy so as to cause a problem with the way the company does business.

I have yet to be presented with a real business reason to sit in team seating.

Anyway, that’s a bit longer than I had first thought, due apologies. Anyway, her and I have differences. On every monitor she does on me, she will always mark me wrong on something, and I will come back with a reason I did it. Here's a good example: a customer calls in, after I greet the customer, he promptly states "get me over to pre-paid." That’s it. So what did I do? I asked him if I could place him on hold while I transfer him over to the pre-paid department, than transfered upon confirmation. I assisted that customer in every facet that I humanly could.

I failed the call.

OK, so let me get this straight, getting a customer to a department that is actually able to help him, and having him on hold for about 10-13 seconds is unfavorable. Yet, if I had gotten all his details, wrote them down, gotten what he was actually calling about, provided the other departments phone number, placed him on hold for about 2-3 minutes while I contacted the other department, and then introducing him to the representative in the other department after I've advised the rep what the issue is and what the customers information is, then I have to provide empathy that he did not reach the correct department, thank him for being such a loyal customer, and thank him for calling Cingular wireless, AND go over what I did on the call, IS an actual proper call, and very highly favorable.

Let me get this straight, I'm getting paid to waste the customers’ time and my own? It's so obvious this business need thing :thumb:

This was her argument that took her 43 minutes to come back to me with (yes, her and I were fighting for 43 minutes): you have to follow policy, our client (cingular) dictates these policies for a reason, and you have to follow them no matter what.

Wee! I'm Corporate Service, NOT Customer Service! So you know what? Next call I get at work, I'm going to just read you a completely scripted response, not actually help you with your issue, mess up your account, order you a new phone that you don't want, steal your credit card information, and then score a perfect performance rating on that call with my team leader! :D

**** you for calling, have a shitty day.[/rant]

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

**** things happen in work.
    You need to learn how not to make major issues out of them, they're definately going to wind you up there now.

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I honestly don't try to make "major issues" out of things, I enjoy trivializing most everything (almost to a fault). But when you are sitting still, with no real human interaction for about 8 hours straight, with only a deck of cards to keep you occupied...

[​IMG]

You start to crave human interaction, and when something absolutely stupid happens (like I get marked wrong on something I know I did right), and a false ownership is placed upon me, I find it kind of fun to waste time.

14. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

If you don't like it, quit. That or just get over it, the choice is yours.

Or maybe, you could go to the UN with your terrible human rights atrocity. :eeek:

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Positive thinker ehh? Well, at the moment I don't really have a choice but to work there. Kind of hard to find a full time job that can work around my school hours that pays more than minimum wage ;) As for moving to the UN, wouldn't mind it, enjoy the people and the culture; well, except for the chavs... And all those damn... umm, what do you call them? Oh-yeah: people...

16. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

yeah man, people suck

17. Constructacon

Don't most people think that their job would be great.....

....if only they didn't have to deal with customers or the other staff?

Or is that just me? :worried:

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

No, it is not just you. A lot of people do think that way.

To be quite honest, I don't mind taking care of the screaming, whining, needy customers. When somebody yells at me for credit, I take great joy in stating blatantly "No," then quoting exact portions of the person’s legally binding contract back to them as to why I am not giving them credit. For some reason, I don't get that many escalations...

19. penski

penski BodMod

...You do realise that the UN is not a country don't you..?

Another thing: you need to learn how to play 'their game'. If you are told what to do on the phone then you do it otherwise you walk out of the door.

Switch off, go through the motions, take their details, jump through the hoops until the end of the working day and then go home and do whatever the hell you like to do when you're by yourself.

Stop taking everything so personally.

There is a legitimate business need for a structured call - it is important for every customer to get the same high level of service and the same customer service experience. If you don't understand that then you should be flipping burgers for minimum wage.

*n

20. Constructacon

penski's got a point. I actually went back and had a re-read of what you said earlier and had a think about it.

Your boss was correct to fail you on what you did. The reason behind the procedure they give you is to make the customer feel valued and that you care for his needs. What you did could be interpreted by the customer as "not my problem, tell someone who cares...." And he would have to tell someone..... again. After going through it all with you. I know when I'm calling a company I get frustrated every time I have to tell the same story of what I'm after over and over again.

Yes the procedure given to you takes a little longer but your customer walks away at the other end with a higher satisfaction level. This will also make them less likely to jump when the opposition calls and says "Have you considered switching to XYZ corporation?" and think "Why not - ABC Corp are a pack of tosspots." Customers leaving=bad for business=staff cuts=? See where this could be heading?

While at work be the obedient robot. It'll mean less hassle for you in the long run right? That's what you want isn't it?