1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HWLabs gets medieval

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Active Member

Did they really think that nobody would notice? Silly buggers.

3. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Haha, I remember seeing them when I was browsing Koolance's site a few weeks back. Personally, the radiators looked ugly as hell. :/

4. rmallen

rmallen New Member

Koolance rads

hehe just replaced all my koolance radiators with black ice, and frankly they are alot prettier. Infact if I think about it the only part left in my Lian Li Koolance that is original is the tubing.

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The HWlabs article isn't entirely without spin itself...

In short, "no, we don't glue our radiators together, we solder them together."

They're talking about two different effects here. You could just as accurately say "Aluminum is a more noble metal than copper. In fact oxidation on aluminum is not as dangerous as a pinhole cavity of oxides in copper as oxidation on an aluminum surface protects the material beneath it from further oxidation."

A pinhole cavity in an oxide layer is a big corrosion problem, period. It happens to steels, it happens to aluminum, it happens to basically anything that needs to oxidize to protect itself. Saying that aluminum is more of a problem because it oxidizes, and then saying that copper oxidizing (via the exact same mechanism) isn't a risk is inherently self-contradicting.

Not the circular logic: "Copper is the best material for PC radiators. We know this because it's used in high-performance applications, like PC radiators." Once again, you can easily replace copper with aluminum, and the argument still works just fine.

Of course, the entire article is riddled with ad homenim attacks, too. For a company that claims "HWLabs has always maintained its polite demeanor in dealing with adversities, and when faced with claims made by overtly opinionated and disinformed entities", they're coming across as being petty, opinionated, and generally not much better than their competitor. (Not that I'm saying Koolance is any better from a scientific standpoint, but they certainly wrote their article better.)

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hehehe :) Yes, but the "not glueing, soldering" is a HUGE difference. One is using a resin which is inherently going to be a poor heat conductor. The other is using a metal that is chosen because it's a GOOD heat conductor.

You make a very good point with the pinhole comment, though.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I use Aqua-computer.de rads. They are better then both koolance and black ice..

:D hahahaha

8. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

9. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Some of the AQ rads ARE HW rads....

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- New Member

Personaly I like both product lines.. If I were building a new system today I would use Koolance blocks with 1/4 tubing and Black Ice radiators.

Altho I must say right now that koolance looks like an idiot.

My current setup is all cooled by koolance PC3-400 in a lianli.
    Opteron 170 at 2.4ghz stock voltage
    7800gt @ 470
    7800gt @ 470
    Chipset..

according to my Kill-a-watt my sytem pulls a total of 320w (I will check again when I get home) while running WoW and boinc.. -the 4hdd's and fans and PSU loss I guess its about 290w of heat from the components. In a 68* room CPU is 118, GPU1 is 124, GPU2 is 132,and chipset is 98. Not bad considering the tiny radiator and two 80mm fans cooling it (moded red LED, quiet fans and at full power)

In my book an aluminum radiator works just fine, in 22mo of service my hosese are still as clear as the day they were installed indicating zero oxidation.

Another point.. from I have heard.. not sure its true or not. Aluminum gives off heat better than copper.. Copper draws in heat better than aluminum, hence the copper base and aluminum fins on some heatsinks?

11. Muunsyr

Muunsyr New Member

Don't believe all the hearsay. :p

The only reason for this is that copper is more expensive than aluminium, and aluminium is lighter. You can make a larger heat sink out of aluminium and still be within intel's/amd's weight guidelines.

The reason that copper draws heat better than aluminium is the same reason why it dissipates better. It is a better conductor of heat, and heat sinks work on the principle of conduction.

12. serial_

serial_ New Member

shouldn't they be designing better parts rather than trolling the interweb with this mind-numbing garbage?

/sigh air cooling ***^^

Tags: Add Tags