1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hyundai W241D 24'' widescreen monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2008.

1. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i read somewhere that the light bleed mentioned improves when you get some mileage on this monitor, although mine looks fine

2. gigik

gigik What's a Dremel?

2heir flick:
    2kenco_uk:
    hyundai 240d is not the same, 240 uses TN panel..

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

4. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

5. gigik

gigik What's a Dremel?

wow I see, In our country (czech republic in europe) you can get only TN 240D

but this review suck anyway, no measured parameters (real min/max brightness in cd, real contrast, real response time in different situations, if it has a HW or SW brightness regulation, colorimetric difference, and such things I look after when I buy lcd...)

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have a keyboard that is glossy black. THAT must be the most stupid thing ever. (Why the bloody **** did I buy it anyway? :wallbash: )

7. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I'm really tempted to get this monitor after this review...
    Are there any other monitors in a similar price range that have similar inputs?

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, I found that out too after a quick google. I thought the price was too good and was about to post on here, "Hang on, you can get it cheaper at blah-blah-blah", then found that there are different models of the same.. model. Tbh, there's not a lot in it, you're better off buying (new) the W241D.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

The BenQ FP241W has similar inputs AFAIK.

10. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

My benq has hdmi, dvi, vga, composite, component, svideo. And PiP support.

Edit: Oh, right, and a usb hub.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

the stand is also much much better than the one on the W241D too, IMO. :)

12. vaderag

Was looking at that Benq - would you recommend it?
    Also, what's it like playing a Wii on through component?

13. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I would certainly recommend the FP241W to anyone. I haven't plugged a Wii Into it before, but I imagine it would be fine. I have used the analog SD inputs, they work as expected. Plus you can use PiP with them. So you could play your Wii and browse bittech at the same time :).

I love it so much I might even get greedy and by myself a second one. But NCIX (where i buy all my parts because of my location) doesn't seem to stock them much anymore...

Ive also viewed it side by side with a few other monitors running off the same signal. It's got great contrast in comparison to many other monitors. IMHO

And Yeah, the stand is top notch. It's very sturdy. And it rotates so you can have yourself a 1200x1920 monitor.

14. vaderag

The rotation is a must feature for me (along with the inputs), as i like to read comics on it vertically.
    Anyone seem both the Hyundai and the Benq together - which is better?

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've had both on my desk at different times and I have to say I prefer the BenQ. I know that Jeremy is the other way around though - I guess what that says is that they're both pretty good.

16. vaderag

So it pretty much boils down to price then would you say?

Its funny, because 2 days ago, before your review, i'd pretty much settled that I was going to buy a 32 inch TV for dvd's and my Wii... now i'm pretty much decided that this is a much better option as it kills two birds with one stone (as i was thinking of getting a bigger monitor), and i can have a dual monitor setup!

Do you think 24" is big enough to play a Wii on?!

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm not sure - I play Xbox 360 on a 21" Samsung 215TW, but it's a trifle less involved than something like Wii Sports. I find myself having to sit quite close to the monitor if I'm playing driving games, otherwise I don't see oncoming cars!

18. vaderag

Right. I've been playing Zack & Wiki on my 19" with a tv box and it's been Ok, but for things like Resident Evil 4 and any of the Gun games, i find it far too small...

19. vaderag

Anyone know if there are any similar 26" models that are more or less identical to this, but bigger?

20. caboosemoose

caboosemoose What's a Dremel?

Because the key issue isn't whether the monitor lags compared to a CRT, that is a given. They key issue is whether it is slower than a monitor which is known to not suffer from noticeable input lag, such as the 3007. In truth, you could do it either way, but if you use a CRT you would need to also include results from a unit like the 3007 to put the new monitor's lag into context. With that in mind, using a CRT really doesn't give you any extra information. So it wasn't used.

It's also worth noting that barely anyone uses CRTs anymore, so the comparison isn't hugely relevant, as you yourself say,
    On the subject of the Hyundai vs the BenQ, as Tim said, we have slightly differing opinions. There's not a huge amount in it, and I like Tim have not had both running simultaneously next to each other which makes the comparison a little tricky. That said, my feeling is that the Hyundai's PVA panel is a little more vibrant and punchy and it has slightly better response. MVA panels like the BenQ's are typically not all that hot when is comes to pixel response. That said, I would need to have them side by side to give a final verdict with full confidence.

Rgds

Jeremy

Tags: Add Tags