1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I’m So Sick Of World War II

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2009.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

or maybe something like the man in the high castle, america after the nazi's have won the war, largely japanese rule. brilliant setting.

*ahem* :idea:

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Sep 2009
  2. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

*points at Overlord 2*

3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

Are you sure? And surely its better to do it in a videogame than in real life ;)

Hehe anyway I can totally follow you Joe.
    Besides why do games have to be about shooting and killing people.. can't we all just get along???:D:hehe:

At the end of the day IT'S A GAME.. why do we need a reason (such as a war) to go around killing people??

4. fargo

fargo New Member

what is wrong with korea and vietnam these wars are cherry for war games
    even thou a few have been done none to my liking. I can't understand why
    the guys at cod or someone else hasn't exploited this era!!

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

nvm delete pls

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I haven't played a WWII game since COD2.

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Also really bored of WWII games, they all sort of blend into the same mishmash of brown averageness. Not to mention you always seem to play an american, it's like we weren't involved in the war at all.
    Theres also becoming a rather large number of zombie games, some of them even in a WWII setting, which is concerning.

More pirate games is always good

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I loved the Far cry 2 setting i just beleive it could have been done so much better

9. ffjason

ffjason New Member

Agreeing that WWII games are booooooring now. Glad i'm not the only one.

10. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

the only reason its milked out so much is that was the last time America did something beneficial to the world through war..

:)

11. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

+1. Far Cry 2 was a pretty bad game IMHO, but a realistic FPS set in an African civil war could be very good, as well as raise some complex issues. Although I doubt child soldiers would be involved.

12. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

I too would like to play something different. WW2 is fun, but every game has the same guns, the same play style, and the same maps. I played soooo much Return to Castle Wolfenstein back 'in the day' like 2001/2002, and every game I see just looks like it has the same characters, weapons, and terrain types. I guess that's one of the reasons I liked Half Life a lot - I thought the setting was very interesting, and the play-style was different.

There are so many interesting themes in movies and novels that could probably make great games.
    How about Mad Max? I think a Mad Max game would be epic. Make it sorta like Grand Theft Auto combined with "Freelancer". You start off with a car, and you can buy armor, upgrades, weapons, and all sorts of stuff like that, and go on missions and stuff.
    Or why not Stephen King's "The Gunslinger"? It's a series where the main hero is this sort of immortal knight-errant, but with a gun instead of a sword, and he is on this sort of endless quest thingy. Doesn't have to have the plot, but the setting and characters from "The Gunslinger" would make a pretty interesting game.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

People who play KoL would disagree with the last one, and perhaps the middle one. Although KoL does it in a cute and funny way.

Don't see much of a cute or funny way to do the first one. Eeeuw.

14. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

We need the X-Ray engine to either improve or for later STALKER games to use a better engine. I gave up on WWII games after CoD 2 - I want something that is relatively close to our time (a few years ahead of now) with manky mutants, slobbering zombies, and the after-thought of....

:O

This could actually (have) happen(ed)!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. made in the Dunia engine, that'd be awesome.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

QFT.

Don't get me wrong: I like shoot-em-ups like Unreal Tournament or Quake, but mainly because of the surreal, over-the-top quality about them. Realistic depictions of wars give me the creeps. Anyone who wants a Medal of Honour should just sign up to the army for that lifelike HD surround-sound experience.

Because:

16. TSR2

TSR2 New Member

It is really rather annoying that most games do seem to be focused on WW2. Why not focus a game on some of the other wars? Pre about 1850 would be pretty hard to do as anything but RTS, as there wasn't much scope for individuality then (unless you play as a skirmisher) and death was pretty much a lottery, but some of the colonial wars would be interesting; be put in charge of a gunboat and have the responsibility of sorting it out. You could even put some pirates in (stopping slavery and all that), or something like the Zulu wars. However, this would incur flak from the PC brigade and it just wouldn't sell in the States.

17. 1ad7

1ad7 New Member

I agree WW2 is getting a bit old. The only WW2 game I can see my self buying is a Massive Online type, 2 Hour battles and 150 people on each side.

Developers need to pick a new war. I could go for some vietnam games but I dont think that is going to happen.

18. Red 5

Red 5 New Member

I refuse to buy any game based within a real conflict, or which supplants one (i.e 'modern, desert' setting), unless it's placed far from reality (e.g Wolfenstein's supernaturalism), so I grew tired of them long ago. How long has it been since the realistic ones started, about a decade? I think they've had long enough.

19. mute1

mute1 New Member

Joe, I would pretty much agree with your theory, except to me it was not so much that World War II offers a unique window into humanity but that it is so familiar to a mass audience. The fact that all these games do not explore any of the more interesting aspects in a deep way testifies to that (e.g. the murder of virtually the entire Soviet army command structure in the 30s and 40s and the effect that had on their defence against the German invasion; the increase in anti-Semitism in the USSR after the invasion; the unofficial war between the Soviets and the Japanese in the East, where the Soviets won decisively enough that they could turn the attention to the East; etc; etc; etc).

As some others have pointed out, there are many, many, many very interesting periods in history that would make great games: any one who has studied late Republican or early imperial Roman history would agree (really any period of Roman history in the right hands would make a great game). The life of Caesar? Incredibly complex and fascinating. So too the life of Alexander the Great. Either one in my mind would make a great FPS/RPG hybrid (seriously - I know how it would work, but no room to discuss it here. No scepticism, please).

Somewhat off-topic but hopefully the development of Dante's Inferno will lead to the conversion of more literature into games (no matter how much that particular game has discarded the themes of sin, repentance, faith, etc present in the original). The Odyssey? Great game waiting to happen. The Iliad? Maybe. The Aeneid, Don Quixote, Count of Monte Cristo, Nineteen Eighty-Four... the list is endless. And it is not necessarily a bad thing for a new take to be made on these (a la American McGee's Alice).

Bit more on topic but I consider it a greater problem that RPGs sit in almost two settings: fantasy (medieval kind with magic, etc) and sci-fi (Star Wars, Mass Effect, etc-kind). No matter how good they are, it gets a little tedious. I don't count Deus Ex in the sci-fi category as it was different enough to warrant being called original. One reason it is the best game of all time (please let it be remade...). I can't play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines any more - I've finished it about ten times. Everything is etched indelibly into my memory. Hopefully Alpha Protocol will be good.

(Apologies for the essay...)

CardJoe likes this.
  20. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

american civil war.. that would be interesting- like call of juarez games.. if they do another ww2 game it should be based on hogan's heros.. with the ridiculous german accents and hogan making them look like fools- oh nm they already made wolfenstein

Tags: Add Tags